Solving Tritium Oxide in Ocean Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number of molecules of ditritium monoxide in a 100mL sample of ocean water after pouring in 100mL of hot water containing tritium. The solution involves using Avogadro's constant and calculating the concentration of the chemical in the solvent, which is 1.3*(10^18)m^3. The conversation also suggests converting units for easier calculation.
dajugganaut
"Hot" Water

I have this problem in class that I could not solve. Could some one please help me?

I have 100mL of water made with tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen). If I were to pour this 100mL of hot water into the ocean (given the volume of the ocean is 1.3*(10^18)m^3) how many molcecules of the original 100mL of ditritium monoxide would be in a 100mL sample of the ocean water. Assume the tritium oxide has mixed thoroughly.

As this question deals with grams and molecules, I expect it to have something to do with avogadro's constant. Please suggest a few steps so that I can solve the problem. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is very easy man, just find that 100 mL of ditritium monoxide gives x moles, and this radioactive chemical is dissolved in a solvent, whose volume is [itex]\displaystyle 1.3\times 10^{18}~m^3[/itex]. The cubic meters will cause you a trouble, but concentration can still be calculated from this; for example, it gives us the same result if we calculate millimoles over milliliters, moles over liters, or, just in our case, kilomoles over kiloliters (=one kiloliter is exactly one cubic meter, since one liter is one cubic decimeter).

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

Solving for the number of tritium oxide molecules in a 100mL sample of ocean water requires some basic understanding of chemistry and units. To solve this problem, we need to use the following steps:

1. Convert the given volume of ocean water (1.3*(10^18)m^3) to liters. This can be done by dividing the volume by 1000, since 1 m^3 is equal to 1000 liters. This will give us a volume of 1.3*(10^15) liters.

2. Convert the volume of 100mL of tritium oxide to liters by dividing it by 1000. This will give us a volume of 0.1 liters.

3. Use the molarity formula, M = moles/volume, to calculate the number of moles of tritium oxide in the 100mL sample. Since we are given the volume and the concentration (100mL and 1 mole/L, respectively), we can simply plug in these values to get the number of moles.

Moles of Tritium Oxide = (1 mole/L) x (0.1 L) = 0.1 moles

4. Now, we need to convert the number of moles to molecules using Avogadro's constant, which states that 1 mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 10^23 molecules. So, to get the number of molecules in 0.1 moles of tritium oxide, we multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's constant.

Number of Tritium Oxide molecules = (0.1 moles) x (6.022 x 10^23 molecules/mol) = 6.022 x 10^22 molecules

5. Finally, we need to calculate the number of molecules in a 100mL sample of ocean water. To do this, we divide the number of molecules in the 100mL sample of tritium oxide by the total volume of ocean water (1.3*(10^15) liters) and then multiply by the volume of the sample (100mL) to get the total number of molecules.

Number of Tritium Oxide molecules in 100mL of ocean water = (6.022 x 10^22 molecules) x (100mL/1.3*(10^15) liters) x (100m

Related to Solving Tritium Oxide in Ocean Water

What is tritium oxide and why is it a concern in ocean water?

Tritium oxide is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen that can be found in small amounts in ocean water. It is a concern because it can potentially harm marine life and have negative effects on the environment.

How does tritium oxide get into ocean water?

Tritium oxide can enter ocean water through various sources such as nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons testing, and natural processes like precipitation and groundwater flow. It can also be produced through the decay of other radioactive elements.

What are the potential risks of tritium oxide in ocean water?

The main risks associated with tritium oxide in ocean water are radiation exposure to marine organisms, which can lead to genetic mutations and other health problems. It can also potentially contaminate seafood and pose a risk to human health if consumed.

How can tritium oxide in ocean water be measured and monitored?

Tritium oxide levels in ocean water can be measured through various techniques such as water sampling and analysis, remote sensing, and aerial surveys. It is also regularly monitored by government agencies and international organizations to ensure safe levels in the environment.

What are some potential solutions for reducing tritium oxide levels in ocean water?

There are several methods for reducing tritium oxide levels in ocean water, including implementing stricter regulations on nuclear facilities, developing advanced water treatment technologies, and promoting alternative energy sources. Additionally, promoting responsible waste management practices can help prevent further contamination of ocean water with tritium oxide.