Solving Two Loop RC Circuit Homework

In summary, the problem presents a circuit with four resistors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch. The values for the resistors are R1 = R2 = 52 Ω, R3 = 41 Ω and R4 = 129 Ω. The capacitance is C = 62 μF and the battery voltage is V = 24 V. The switch has been open for a long time when at time t = 0, the switch is closed. The questions ask for the magnitude of the current through resistor R1 just after the switch is closed, the magnitude of the current that flows through resistor R1 a very long time after the switch has been closed, and the charge on the capacitor after the
fmd826

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with four resistors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R2 = 52 Ω, R3 = 41 Ω and R4 = 129 Ω. The capacitance is C = 62 μF and the battery voltage is V = 24 V.

1) The switch has been open for a long time when at time t = 0, the switch is closed. What is I1(0), the magnitude of the current through the resistor R1 just after the switch is closed?

2) What is I1(∞), the magnitude of the current that flows through the resistor R1 a very long time after the switch has been closed?

3) What is Q(∞), the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?

4) Consider the circuit above, with R5 = 119 Ω in series with the capacitor. Once again, the switch has been open for a long time when at time t = 0, the switch is closed. What is I1(0), the magnitude of the current through the resistor R1 just after the switch is closed?

5) Continuing with the new circuit, what is Q(∞), the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?

Homework Equations

I=v/r
qmax=C*Vbattery
Q(t)= Qmax(1-e^(-t/T))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to do this problem after trying the first few questions. For example I tried the first question and I know after the switch closes, the capacitor acts as a wire, so its just like a circuit with only resistors. I used the equation i=v/r and it didnt work. I tried adding the resistors in different ways but it still didnt work. any help would be awesome. thanks guys!

Attachments

• h11_RC_limits_noah2.png
    h11_RC_limits_noah2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 870
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi fmd826! welcome to pf! :smile:
fmd826 said:
I tried adding the resistors in different ways but it still didnt work.

show us how you added the resistors :wink:

well resistors in series are added R1 +R2 +R3 etc... i added them all together and then even tried just the inner loop. I know that the current divides at the wire with the resistor. I tried making equations using the loop rule, but there's so many unknowns that I don't think that is the right way to go about this.

so the homework program I am using wasnt taking my answer because of the lack of sigfigs. -_-

hi fmd826! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
fmd826 said:
well resistors in series are added R1 +R2 +R3 etc...

ah, but the right-hand loop aren't in series with the emf …

use the parallel formula to make that loop into one resistor, then put that in series with the emf in the left-hand loop :wink:

I am trying to solve part 2 of this question. I know that after a very long time the current decreases, but it is not zero in this case. I used kirchhoffs rules but since Q1, I1, I3 are unknown, I'm clueless on how to find I1 after a very long time..

ayajek said:
I am trying to solve part 2 of this question. I know that after a very long time the current decreases, but it is not zero in this case. I used kirchhoffs rules but since Q1, I1, I3 are unknown, I'm clueless on how to find I1 after a very long time..
After a very long time the capacitor will be charged. If the capacitor is fully charged, what do you think the current through the middle branch will be?

Edit:
I just noticed this is a 2 year old thread. You should make a new thread if you have questions.

Last edited:
It's not clear from the problem statement what circuit is associated with parts 1 through 3. The statement mentions four resistors but the only diagram included shows five and appears to be associated with the "new" circuit of parts 4 & 5. Please clarify the circuit configuration for parts 1 through 3.

Related to Solving Two Loop RC Circuit Homework

1. How do I solve a two loop RC circuit?

Solving a two loop RC circuit involves using Kirchhoff's loop rule and Ohm's law to set up a system of equations and then solving for the unknown currents or voltages. It is important to also simplify the circuit using series and parallel combinations of resistors to make the calculations easier.

2. What is the purpose of solving a two loop RC circuit?

The purpose of solving a two loop RC circuit is to determine the currents and voltages at different points in the circuit. This information can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of the circuit, such as the time constant and the steady state response.

3. What are the key components of a two loop RC circuit?

The key components of a two loop RC circuit are two loops of conductive material, such as wires, and two resistors and one capacitor in each loop. The resistors and capacitor can be arranged in series or parallel, and there may also be a voltage source and other components present.

4. What are the common challenges in solving a two loop RC circuit?

Common challenges in solving a two loop RC circuit include keeping track of the polarity of the voltage drops across the resistors and capacitor and correctly applying Kirchhoff's loop rule and Ohm's law. It is also important to properly simplify the circuit and use the correct equations for series and parallel combinations.

5. Are there any tips for solving a two loop RC circuit more efficiently?

One tip for solving a two loop RC circuit more efficiently is to start by simplifying the circuit using series and parallel combinations of resistors. It is also helpful to label all the known and unknown values and to set up a system of equations using Kirchhoff's loop rule and Ohm's law before solving for the unknowns.