Solving Vector Magnitude Problem: Find OC

In summary, the question is about finding the vector OC, which lies between A and B and is 5 units from A. Using Pythagoras' Theorem, the magnitude of AB is found to be 10. By finding the midpoint of AB, AC is found to be -3i - 4j. Substituting values into the equation OA + AC = OC gives the answer of -i - j. However, upon further investigation, it is discovered that the question may contain a typo and should say 2 units instead of 5.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

Homework Statement

"The point C lies between A and B and is 5 units from A.

OA = 2i + 3j
OB = -4i - 5j

Find OC."

Homework Equations

Pythagoras' Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not exactly a homework question since this is independent study, but I was wondering why I couldn't get the same answer as my textbook unless my textbook is wrong - but if it isn't, then that means I haven't grasped this topic yet.

First find the vector AB;

AB = OB - OA
AB = -4i - 5j - 2i - 3j = -6i - 8j

The magnitude of AB is therefore 10, by Pythagoras' Theorem.

Since C is 5 units from A and lies between A and B;

AC = (AB)/2

AC = 0.5(-6i - 8j) = -3i - 4j

To find OC, we simply substitute values into the equation OA + AC = OC;

OA + AC = OC
2i + 3j - 3i - 4j = -i - j = OC

So OC should be -i - j, but I don't see the error I have made... my textbook says it should be 0.8i + 1.4j. This problem has been bugging me because I thought I understood this, perhaps there is something deeper I haven't noticed/considered?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:

Your method looks correct to me. :confused:

Perhaps the question should say 2 units instead of 5 ?

Hello;

Thank you for the quick reply!

I did the problem again assuming it was 2 units from A, not 5, and I did indeed get the textbook's answer. But the problem does say 5 units. I suppose it is just a typo.

Thanks! Now just one more topic and I've finished this chapter.

Related to Solving Vector Magnitude Problem: Find OC

1. What is a vector magnitude?

A vector magnitude is the length or size of a vector. It is represented by a number and can be thought of as the distance from the origin to the point where the vector ends.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. In the case of finding OC, you would use the formula √(OA² + AC²).

3. Why is finding the magnitude of a vector important?

Finding the magnitude of a vector is important because it provides useful information about the vector, such as its length and direction. It is also necessary for solving many physics and engineering problems involving motion, force, and velocity.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector magnitudes?

A scalar magnitude only has a numerical value, while a vector magnitude has both a numerical value and a direction. Scalar magnitudes are one-dimensional, while vector magnitudes are multi-dimensional.

5. Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. This is because it represents the distance or length of the vector and cannot be negative. However, the components of a vector can be negative, which affects its direction but not its magnitude.