Solving Wave Interference: A Study of Frequency & Amplitude

L. The question asks for the possible frequencies that would satisfy this condition. Different opinions and approaches are welcomed to solve the problem.
JuanYsimura

Homework Statement

Write a wave in one space dimension as ARe(ei(kx-wt-d))where A is the
amplitude of the wave. Find a second wave of the same frequency such that
the sum of the two vanishes at x = 0 and x = L. Assuming the wave velocity
c = w/|k| is fixed, for what frequencies ! is this possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I Let x1 = ARe(ei(kx-wt+d)) be wave 1 and x2 = A'Re(ei(kx-wt+d')) be wave 2.
since they vanish at x=0,L, I obtained the following equations:
ARe(ei(-wt+d))+A'Re(ei(-wt+d)) = 0 and ARe(ei(Lk-wt+d))+A'Re(ei(Lk-wt+d)) = 0.
My question is: should I solve this equations and find the frequencies that satisfy this equation ?? Am I in the right path to solve the problems? Id Like to hear different opinions and different approaches.

Thanks,

Juan

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't we want a standing wave where at least one pair of nodes is at 0 and L?

See,

Attachments

• wave033.jpg
    wave033.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 401

Related to Solving Wave Interference: A Study of Frequency & Amplitude

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. What is frequency and how does it relate to wave interference?

Frequency is the measure of how many waves pass by a point in a given amount of time. In terms of wave interference, frequency determines the spacing between the waves and can impact the type of interference that occurs. Higher frequencies tend to result in more noticeable interference patterns.

3. How does amplitude affect wave interference?

Amplitude is the measure of a wave's height or intensity. In wave interference, the amplitude of the resulting wave will depend on the amplitudes of the individual waves. If the amplitudes are similar, the resulting wave will have a larger amplitude due to constructive interference. If the amplitudes are different, the resulting wave will have a smaller amplitude due to destructive interference.

4. What are some real-world applications of wave interference?

Wave interference has many practical applications, including in the fields of acoustics, optics, and telecommunications. Examples include noise-cancelling headphones, diffraction gratings, and radio communication systems.

5. How can we manipulate frequency and amplitude to control wave interference?

Frequency and amplitude can be manipulated by adjusting the source of the waves. For example, changing the frequency of a sound wave can be done by adjusting the pitch of a musical instrument. Amplitude can be altered by changing the power or energy of the wave source. Additionally, using multiple sources at different frequencies and amplitudes can create complex interference patterns.