Solving Windows XP Login & CPU Usage Issues

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the first person's problem is unusual and unexplained, while the second person's problem is just due to the way Windows manages passwords. The first person suggests trying connecting using a different password, while the second person suggests using a virus scanner or spyware removal program.
tribdog
1.) I use dial-up to get online. Windows is supposed to remember my logon name and password. It has no problem with the name, but the password it gives has twice as many letters as the correct one. I assume it is giving the password twice. No matter how many times I change the password, or make a new connection the next time I try to automatically connect the password is doubled again. Ever heard of this problem?

2.)Just out of curiosity, how many processes are normally running on your computer. I'm usually running about 30-35 and too often my CPU usage hits 100% and I slow way down.

Computer science news on Phys.org
2) right now ... 78, typically when really doing something add +5-10. I've got a laptop with 2.5 GHz PIV & 1 Gb memory and it handles them pretty easily ... perhaps you just got a process or few working overtime.

The first one sounds pretty unusual ... haven't come across that myself.

right now i only have 31 processes running and this is on my 1.8ghz computer, heck it runs faster than any other computer with that processor specs.

your first problem is quite unusual first time i have ever heard of that happening. how many profiles are sharing the same password?

just one. It makes no sense to me. I no longer have the little box checkmarked to remember my password. I just type it in everytime I connect. If I type it in correctly and then check the box to remember it then the next time there will be twice as many letters.

what do you mean by the "the password it gives has twice as many letters as the correct one"? Do you mean twice as many "Asterix's"?... Have you tryed just conecting, and did it work?

If yes then this is just windows populating the password field with ***** Which will not reflect the amount of Characters as the password... This is typical Windows behavior AFAK...

I also use dial-up and also get a "doubled" password. However, I connect and it works fine. Anttech's theory is, therefore, probably correct. Try connecting using the "doubled" password; it should work.

I already thought of that, it doesn't connect.

hey i just remembered on my computer when i go in the internet properties under connections then click the connection then click advance i see that same doubled thing. ever since it has been like this but connecting works fine. plus in the dialup box the password appears normal.

I got 102 processes running :( :( :(

Tribdog have you got a virus checker ? Spyware?

i have 15-20 process running, in general.

You can go to "administrative tools", and remove all the unusefull services that start when you start your computer...

Maybe you can do an online virus check on any antivirus website (if you haven't any recent antivirus)...

Major said:
Maybe you can do an online virus check on any antivirus website (if you haven't any recent antivirus)...
The only "antivirus" websites that offer "free online virus scans" are spyware distributors. One is called "Stop Sign" and it installs a piece of spyware called EAnthology.

http://www.google.com/search?q=eanthology+spyware

Last edited by a moderator:
The double number of dots or * you get AFTER typing a password is irrelevant to the number of character the password is. That's exactly the behavior needed, since its purpose is to protect the number of characters that forms the password. Just a basic security procedure.

You could go to www.download.com and search for "SpyBot, seatch and destroy" that's a pretty good freeware to get rid of most adware that could cause high number of processes on your pc.

DrKareem is right. The extra astericks are a basic security feature to hide the actual number of letters in the PW. Symantec won't hurt your PC and can help. Spybot S&D and AdawareSE are excellent programs for cleaning spyware, cookies and trojan like stuff and are free.

On average anything between 25 - 35 running processes would be average. 78 processes is symptomatic of a user suffering from excessive multi-tasking.

You also will run a higher number of processes if you log on as an administrator instead of a limited or user account.

Good Luck

1. What are some common causes of Windows XP login and CPU usage issues?

Some common causes of Windows XP login and CPU usage issues include outdated or corrupted drivers, malware or virus infections, insufficient system resources, and conflicting software or programs.

2. How can I troubleshoot login problems in Windows XP?

To troubleshoot login problems in Windows XP, you can try restarting your computer, checking for malware or viruses, updating drivers, freeing up disk space, and running a system diagnostic tool.

3. What steps can I take to reduce CPU usage in Windows XP?

To reduce CPU usage in Windows XP, you can try closing unnecessary programs, disabling startup items, updating drivers, running a virus scan, and adjusting your power settings to prioritize performance.

4. How do I fix a frozen login screen in Windows XP?

If your login screen is frozen in Windows XP, you can try restarting your computer, booting into safe mode, running a system restore, or performing a clean boot to identify and disable any conflicting software or programs.

5. Can I upgrade my Windows XP system to resolve login and CPU usage issues?

While upgrading to a newer operating system may help resolve login and CPU usage issues in the short term, it is recommended to upgrade to a newer computer or operating system as Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and may continue to experience compatibility issues.