Solving work energy problems, with velocity and friction as givens.

In summary, the speaker needs to solve for the height in a work energy equation given initial and final velocity and work done by friction as the only known values. They are struggling to understand how to approach this problem and may need to change the numbers and wording in order to better understand the concept. They may also need to use an unknown mass in order to solve the equation.
nickyak
I need to solve a work energy equation for height that has initial velocity, final velocity, and work done by friction as the only givens, I don't want to give the full problem, but I can't even find how to do that in my physics book so any help would be appreciated. right now I have KE1+GPE1-Friction=KE2

Physics news on Phys.org
nickyak said:
I don't want to give the full problem
You will at least need to disclose what it is that you are asked to find.

He needs to find the height. Can you make up a problem based on the given one? (Change all the numbers and wording)

PhizKid said:
He needs to find the height.
Hmm.. yes, missed that.:blushing:
Ok, so you have an equation regarding energy, and presumably you can write down expressions for KE etc. if only you knew the mass. Is that the problem? If so, just put in an unknown for mass and hope it cancels. (If the friction is proportional to the mass then it will.)

+GPE2

To solve this type of problem, you will need to use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by friction is equal to the negative of the change in kinetic energy. So your equation should look like this:

W = ΔKE + ΔPE - Ff

Where W is the work done on the object, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, ΔPE is the change in potential energy, and Ff is the force of friction. You can rearrange this equation to solve for the change in potential energy (ΔPE):

ΔPE = W - ΔKE + Ff

To find the final height (GPE2), you will need to use the equation for gravitational potential energy, which is:

GPE = mgh

Where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. You can rearrange this equation to solve for h:

h = GPE/mg

Now you can substitute this into the previous equation to solve for the final height:

GPE2 = (W - ΔKE + Ff)/mg

You can also use this equation to solve for the initial height (GPE1) by substituting the initial values for velocity and friction into the equation. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

Related to Solving work energy problems, with velocity and friction as givens.

What is the concept of work energy in physics?

The concept of work energy in physics refers to the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object due to the application of force.

How is velocity related to work energy?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In the context of work energy problems, velocity is important because it affects the amount of work being done on an object. The greater the velocity, the greater the work done on the object.

What role does friction play in work energy problems?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object. In work energy problems, friction is often included as a given value because it affects the amount of work done on an object. Friction can either increase or decrease the amount of work done, depending on the direction of the motion.

How do you solve work energy problems with velocity and friction as givens?

To solve work energy problems with velocity and friction as givens, you can use the formula W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object is moved. You can also use the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the change in an object's kinetic energy is equal to the net work done on the object.

What are some real-life applications of solving work energy problems?

Solving work energy problems has many real-life applications, such as calculating the energy needed to lift an object, understanding the energy required to move a vehicle, determining the amount of force needed to push or pull an object, and analyzing the efficiency of machines and systems.