Some help with deriving svedberg equilibrium equatio please

In summary, the equation states that the concentration of a solute in a solution decreases as the distance from the center of the rotor increases.
HS-experiment
Hello Physics Forums,

I am studying the equations related to analytical ultracentrifugation. The equation I am interested in describes centrifugation equilibrium, ie at the point in time when sedimentation is balanced with diffusion in the ultracentrifuge. Fortunately, unlike the Lamm equation, this one can be solved analytically.

I found the following in a textbook. Can someone please explain to me the steps taken going from the first equation to the next?

## \frac {RT}{Nf } \frac{dC}{dr} = \frac{M(1-\bar vp)w^2rC}{Nf} ##

We now write the derivative as dC/dr, because at equilibrium, C is a function only of r, not also of t. We can factor out the Nf on both sides and again rearrange to

## \frac{dln(C)}{d(r^2)}=\frac{M(1-\bar vp)w^2}{2RT} ##

where
R = gas constant
T = temperature
N = avogadro's number
f = frictional coefficient
C = concentration of solute
r = distance from center of rotor
M = molar mass
## \bar v ## = partial specific volume
p = density of solvent
## w^2 ## = rotational velocity
In particular, I don't know what to do after I remove Nf and move RT to the right hand side of the equation.

## \frac{dC}{dr}=\frac{M(1-\bar vp)w^2rC}{RT} ##

I think that it is something simple, but my math ability is really bad.

Many thanks.

BTW This is taken fom the textbook 'Principles of Physical Biochemistry', second edition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a little first year calculus: ## \frac{d \, \ln{C}}{dC}=\frac{1}{C} ## so that ## \frac{dC}{C}=d ( \ln{C}) ##. Meanwhile ## \frac{d (r^2)}{dr}=2r ## so that ## r \, dr=\frac{1}{2} d( r^2) ##. ## \\ ## Recommendation is to use the homework template next time and post in the homework section. I think this one is ok where it is, but the Mentors might move it to the homework section.

Last edited:
Likes HS-experiment
Hi Charles. Thanks a lot for your explanation and sorry if I placed this question in the wrong directory. My calculus course is coming back to me through a haze .. I forgot that when you are taking a derivative you need to add the fraction in front ## \frac{1}{2}d(r^2) ## to end up with the correct answer. I should really take a refresher course some time :smile:

Likes Charles Link

What is the Svedberg equilibrium equation?

The Svedberg equilibrium equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the sedimentation coefficient of a molecule in a centrifugation experiment. It takes into account the size, shape, and density of the molecule, as well as the speed and duration of the centrifugation.

Why is the Svedberg equilibrium equation important?

The Svedberg equilibrium equation is important because it provides a way to determine the size and shape of a molecule without having to physically measure it. This is especially useful in the study of proteins and other biomolecules, where their size and shape can provide valuable information about their structure and function.

How is the Svedberg equilibrium equation derived?

The Svedberg equilibrium equation is derived from the principles of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. It takes into account the balance between centrifugal and gravitational forces on a molecule, as well as the viscosity and density of the solvent in which the molecule is suspended.

What are the units of the Svedberg equilibrium equation?

The units of the Svedberg equilibrium equation are typically expressed in seconds (s) or Svedberg units (S). One Svedberg unit is equal to 10^-13 seconds.

What are some limitations of the Svedberg equilibrium equation?

The Svedberg equilibrium equation is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately predict the sedimentation coefficient of all molecules. It also does not take into account factors such as molecular interactions and conformational changes, which can affect the sedimentation rate. Additionally, the equation may be less accurate for larger molecules or in non-ideal experimental conditions.