Some questions on transformers, coils, and short circuits.

In summary, the conversation is about a person attempting to wire a transformer to step down the mains voltage. They noticed a sparking connection and a blown fuse on the extension cord. They also mentioned that the coil was not inside the core and was just lying on a piece of paper. They asked for help in understanding why the fuse on the extension cord blew and how to prevent it from happening again if they put the coil in the transformer with the secondary. Another person explained the concept of inductance and suggested using an incandescent lamp in series with the coil to limit the current. They also advised researching magnetic circuits and fuse types. The conversation was then closed for moderation due to safety concerns. In summary, the person should seek hands-on help
Reallyfat
Hi, I'm trying to wire a transformer which steps my mains voltage (240VAC) down. I just finished wiring the the primary to the plug, and thought I should test my connections by plugging it in. The coil was not inside the core or near the secondary, it was just lying on a piece of paper.
I plugged it into an extension cord and then switched it on. Immediately, I heard the familiar mains hum coming from the coil, but I noticed its connection with the live wire sparking and switched it off within a second.
I removed the plug from the extension and tried to switch it on again, which did not work. Upon further inspection, I found that the fuse had blown and I replaced it. I also touched the coil and found it was rather hot.
My questions are the following:
  1. Firstly, why did the fuse on the extension cord blow, and not that of the plug which the coil was connected to? They were both 13A Bussmann fuses. If it makes any difference, the extension cord also had two chargers connected to it (Both of which are fine, by the way).
  2. Second, how do I know this won't happen again if I place the coil in the transformer with the secondary (which will still be disconnected)? It seems to me that the coil is causing a short circuit now, but what's going to stop it from doing that if I place it into the transformer?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You seem to be ignoring fundamentals of inductance.
That's not unusual, it is not well taught .

Inductance is flux linkages per amp, nΦ/I

Coil lying of the floor?
With no iron core, how can it possibly make enough flux to oppose line voltage?
It takes a lot of amp-turns to push flux through air.

Yeah, what Jim said.

Basically what you've done is run a wire (a short circuit) from one terminal to the other. A bunch of turns is almost irrelevant with no core.

Thanks, I haven't learned this at all, actually. That should explain why it won't do the same thing if I put it in a core. Do you know why the fuse on the extension plug blew, rather than the one on the coil plug?

Wire an incandescent lamp in series with your coil to limit the current.
Then insert your core and watch the lamp dim.
Note it really dims when you get rid of any air gap in the core.

Then search on "Magnetic Circuit"
and learn what are
permeability
MMF (amp-turn) (Oersted)
Flux (Weber) ( Maxwell)
Flux Density(Tesla) (Gauss)

old jim

Likes CalcNerd
Reallyfat said:
Do you know why the fuse on the extension plug blew, rather than the one on the coil plug? They were both 13A Bussmann fuses.

Fuses in series - first one to melt wins the race.
Let's play 20 questions -
Are they the same part number ?
Are they glass fuses?
Can you see the elements?
Is the blown one only melted in middle and sagged from heat?
Or is it completely vaporized and left black inside the glass?
Is the not-blown one sagged from heat as if it only barely lost the race?
What's its resistance? How many milli-ohms does it read?
How many milli-ohms does a new one read ?
If they're not glass so you can't see inside, can you cut them open and look ?

Here's some Bussman ferrule fuses
as you see they come fast acting, time delay, dual element, very fast acting,...
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/electronics/products/bussmann-circuit-protection/fuses_and_accessories/ferrule_fuses/quarter-inch-fuses.html
each with its own melting characteristic.

Good time to study up on 'Fuseology"

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

Reallyfat said:
Thanks, I haven't learned this at all, actually. That should explain why it won't do the same thing if I put it in a core. Do you know why the fuse on the extension plug blew, rather than the one on the coil plug?
Sorry, you do not have the experience to be doing this project with only help from the Internet. This thread will stay closed as a dangerous discussion, Please find an experienced local person near you who can tutor you in person on dangerous projects like this.

1. How do transformers work?

Transformers work by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another. They consist of two coils, a primary coil and a secondary coil, which are wrapped around a shared iron core. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in a transfer of energy.

2. What is the purpose of coils in electrical circuits?

Coils, also known as inductors, are used in electrical circuits to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. They are made of a wire wound around a core material, such as iron or air. This stored energy can then be released and used to smooth out fluctuations in current, filter out unwanted frequencies, and create magnetic fields for devices such as transformers.

3. How do short circuits occur?

A short circuit occurs when a low-resistance path is created between two points in an electrical circuit. This allows a large amount of current to flow through the circuit, potentially causing damage or overheating. Short circuits can be caused by faulty wiring, damaged insulation, or incorrect use of electrical equipment.

4. What are the dangers of short circuits?

Short circuits can be dangerous because they can cause electrical fires, damage to equipment, and potential harm to individuals. The high amount of current flowing through a short circuit can create heat, which can ignite nearby materials. It can also damage sensitive electronic components and create dangerous sparks or explosions.

5. How can short circuits be prevented?

Short circuits can be prevented by using proper wiring techniques, regularly inspecting and maintaining electrical equipment, and using circuit protection devices such as fuses and circuit breakers. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and properly handle and use electrical equipment to avoid creating short circuits.