Someone know a bit about Generators? (windmill project)

In summary, the person is working on a hobby project involving a wind mill and is wondering what type of generator to use for a 1,5m diameter blade. They also ask if a transmission is necessary for the generator to have a real effect. They mention that the blades turn well with just 2ms of wind and suggest using bicycle chain and sprockets with a salvage yard car alternator for experimenting.
Wilhelm Blich
Hi just started working on a hobby project with making a wind mill. I got to the part were i have made the blades and the casing, for the wind mill. I was wondering what type of generator should i use for a 1,5m diameter blade. I really don't have anything special that i want the power to go to. At the moment i just want to see how much power my wind mill is making compared to a real one. That also is a scale of 1,5m diameters on the blade.

Oh yes and another question was if someone knows if you really need a transmission to get a real effect on the generator. The blades on the wind mill turn really good now with just 2ms of wind.Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your blade is fixed geometry then it will operate best at a specified angle of attack. If you try to take too much power you will stall the blade airfoil and so greatly reduce the power available. If you take too little power you will not have sufficient angle of attack and will not get all the power available.

Power is torque * RPM. You need a generator / alternator that will somehow regulate the power extracted from your windmill to optimise the angle of attack of the blades. That will probably need intelligent control of a field winding to optimise RPM at different wind speeds.

Wilhelm Blich said:
Oh yes and another question was if someone knows if you really need a transmission to get a real effect on the generator. The blades on the wind mill turn really good now with just 2ms of wind.

For experimenting you might do well with bicycle chain & sprockets , and a salvage yard car alternator.

1. How does a generator work?

A generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. In the case of a windmill project, the generator uses the kinetic energy from the wind to spin a rotor, which then turns an electromagnetic field to produce electricity.

2. What type of generator is best for a windmill project?

The most commonly used generator for windmill projects is a permanent magnet generator (PMG). This type of generator is efficient, has a high power density, and is compact in size, making it ideal for use in wind turbines.

3. How much electricity can a generator produce from a windmill?

The amount of electricity produced by a generator from a windmill depends on the size and capacity of the windmill, as well as the wind speed. On average, a small windmill can produce around 5-15 kilowatts of electricity, while larger windmills can produce up to 1 megawatt.

4. Can a generator be used for other renewable energy sources?

Yes, generators can be used for other renewable energy sources such as hydro, solar, and biomass. However, the type and specifications of the generator may vary depending on the specific energy source it is being used for.

5. How do I maintain a generator for a windmill project?

To ensure the efficient and safe functioning of a generator in a windmill project, regular maintenance is crucial. This includes cleaning and lubricating the moving parts, checking for any damage or wear and tear, and replacing any faulty components. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and servicing.