Something funny happened on the way to neutrality

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, the What Are We Eating? video by Wolfe Pit discusses a cheap steak being either real meat or just glued trimmings. If sodium diacetate is found to be present, it would mean that the steak is real meat. However, due to the fact that calcium triacetate is also found, it seems that the steak may not be 100% real meat.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A thought experiment goes wrong!
I watched a “What Are We Eating?” video by Wolfe Pit about a cheap steak being real meat or just glued trimmings. My interest was in the glue itself since I have a professional interest in crosslinking proteins. Anyway, the narrator goes through the ingredient list and comes to sodium diacetate. I think, “Hoo boy! Some genius thinks that either sodium is divalent or that acetate has a formal charge of 1/2! That’s rich, isn’t it? People who manufacture our “food” don’t know simple chemistry! A bit scary.

But then I check just to make sure... I was wrong ONCE. OMG! Wrong again! It’s a real thing! There really is such a thing as sodium diacetate. It forms a solid with a reproducible molecular formula. Has its very own entry in the Merck Index (8555 in the 11thEd). So if I take acetic acid and titrate it to half way to the endpoint, I make a new compound?

Yeah, at least once its dried to a powder.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
CAS[126-96-5]

What’s next? If that’s true, then shouldn’t calcium diacetate be able to precipitate as the triacetate?

World. Rocked.

Calcium triacetate, CAS[66905-25-7]

Likes jim mcnamara
Yep, it is used in dry salad dressing mixes.

Haven't seen triacetate though.

Likes jim mcnamara
Yes, I too have heard of sodium diacetate, but forgot exactly what it is. It is also found in some seasonings. I believe some mixture or combination of sodium acetate and acetic acid. I don't remember. Try look it up.

See if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_diacetate

I assume its a compound like a hydrate. Start with sodium acetate and add a molecule of acetic acid.

My approach was that it is just an interesting crystalline form of the mixture, where each sodium acetate is accompanied by an acetic acid molecule.

In a way similar to basic or mixed salts (alum type), where things that are otherwise independent (and can be separated) crystallize together in a stoichiometric ratio.

Likes symbolipoint
And potassium diacetate CAS [4251-29-0]

1. What is "Something funny happened on the way to neutrality"?

"Something funny happened on the way to neutrality" is a phrase that is often used to describe a situation where something unexpected or humorous occurred while trying to remain neutral or impartial.

2. Is "Something funny happened on the way to neutrality" a common saying?

Yes, the phrase is commonly used in everyday conversation and can also be found in literature and media.

3. Can you give an example of "Something funny happened on the way to neutrality"?

An example of this phrase could be when a person tries to remain neutral in an argument between friends, but ends up accidentally making a joke that lightens the mood and diffuses the tension.

4. What is the significance of "Something funny happened on the way to neutrality" in scientific research?

In scientific research, remaining neutral and impartial is crucial for obtaining accurate and unbiased results. However, unexpected or humorous events can occur during experiments or data collection, which can provide valuable insights or lead to further investigations. This phrase reminds scientists to be open-minded and adaptable in their approach to research.

5. How can "Something funny happened on the way to neutrality" be applied in everyday life?

In everyday life, this phrase can serve as a reminder to not take ourselves too seriously and to embrace unexpected moments. It can also encourage us to approach situations with an open mind and be willing to adapt to new perspectives or ideas.

Back