Somewhat convoluted algebra problem

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the person is struggling to solve for R1 in an equation and suspects they made a mistake in their algebra. They realize that when squaring both sides of the equation, they need to square the entire sum, not just each term separately. They also provide a link to a Wolfram Alpha calculation and mention that they haven't done this type of math in a while.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399951010.326927.jpg

Ignoring the context of the problem, essentially I am just trying to solve for R1. I am getting frustrated that I am not getting the right answer, so I am wondering where I went wrong in my algebra. The only thing I can guess is that if the left hand side of the equation is a sum, in the step where I square both sides of the equation, I can't square each of the terms on the left separately.

here is the wolfram alpha calculation

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.5*%28%281%2F%286000*1*10^-9%29%2B1%2F%28x*1*10^-9%29%2B%289000%2F18*10^-3%29%29%29+%3D+sqrt%281%2F%2818*10^-3*1*10^-9%29%289%2F6%2B9000%2Fx%2B1%29%29

somewhat embarrassing, I just haven't done this type of mathematical manipulation in a while to remember :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I had to relearn that you do have to square the sum, not the individual terms T.T

1. What is a "somewhat convoluted algebra problem"?

A "somewhat convoluted algebra problem" is a math problem that involves multiple steps and may have a complex or confusing structure.

2. How do I approach solving a somewhat convoluted algebra problem?

The best approach to solving a somewhat convoluted algebra problem is to break it down into smaller, simpler steps. Identify what variables and equations are involved, and use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms and isolating variables to solve the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving somewhat convoluted algebra problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, making errors in simplifying expressions, and misinterpreting the given information. It's important to double-check your work and pay attention to the details in these types of problems.

4. How can I check my answer to a somewhat convoluted algebra problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions. Another approach is to use a graphing calculator to graph the equations and see if the solution point falls on the intersection of the lines.

5. Are there any tips for becoming better at solving somewhat convoluted algebra problems?

Practice makes perfect! The more you work on solving different types of algebra problems, the better you will become at recognizing patterns and applying the appropriate techniques. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and work on one step at a time.