Integral of a rational function

In summary: It's not hard -- just an exercise in algebra and recognizing patterns.In summary, the integral in question can be solved using partial fraction decomposition and can be formulated in terms of a rootsum, which is a sum over the roots of a polynomial. The Mathematica answer given is a concise representation of the antiderivative, which is a sum over the roots of the polynomial in the denominator. The roots can be found by solving x^5+1=0, and the denominator can be factored as (x^2-x(1+√5)/2+1)(x^2-x(1-√5)/2+1).
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

I came across this integral recently while tutoring:
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{5} \int \frac{-x^3+2x^2-3x+4}{x^4-x^3+x^2-x+1}~dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this. At first I suspected partial fraction decomposition might be the way to go, but I don't know how to factor that denominator.

I've checked with WolframAlpha, and I'm getting a result that I haven't come across yet and don't quite understand: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate%5B%28-x%5E3%2B2x%5E2-3x%2B4%29%2F%28x%5E4-x%5E3%2Bx%5E2-x%2B1%29%2Cx%5D

##\displaystyle \int \cdots=\frac{1}{5}\sum_{\left\{\omega~:~\omega^4-\omega^3+\omega^2-\omega+1=0\right\}}

\frac{4\ln(x-\omega)-3\omega\ln(x-\omega)+2\omega^2\ln(x-\omega)-\omega^3\ln(x-\omega)}{4\omega^3-3\omega^2+2\omega-1}+C
##

How did WA get that answer? Is there some specific name for the method? (I've tried looking it up, but I can't quite put the question into words.)

From what I can tell, ##\omega## is an index indicating the roots of the polynomial in the denominator, or something like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using WA to factor the denominator?

SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to approach this. At first I suspected partial fraction decomposition might be the way to go, but I don't know how to factor that denominator.

I've checked with WolframAlpha, and I'm getting a result that I haven't come across yet and don't quite understand: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate%5B%28-x%5E3%2B2x%5E2-3x%2B4%29%2F%28x%5E4-x%5E3%2Bx%5E2-x%2B1%29%2Cx%5D

##\displaystyle \int \cdots=\frac{1}{5}\sum_{\left\{\omega~:~\omega^4-\omega^3+\omega^2-\omega+1=0\right\}}

\frac{4\ln(x-\omega)-3\omega\ln(x-\omega)+2\omega^2\ln(x-\omega)-\omega^3\ln(x-\omega)}{4\omega^3-3\omega^2+2\omega-1}+C
##

How did WA get that answer? Is there some specific name for the method? (I've tried looking it up, but I can't quite put the question into words.)

From what I can tell, ##\omega## is an index indicating the roots of the polynomial in the denominator, or something like that.

The ##\omega## will be related to the fifth roots of ##-1##, because the denominator is ##(x^5+1)/(x+1)##. WA likely did a partial-fraction expansion using these roots of the denominator.

Maple 11 gets the integral as
-3/10*5^(1/2)*ln(2*x^2-x-5^(1/2)*x+2)+5/(10-2*5^(1/2))^(1/2)*arctan((4*x-1-5^(1/2))/(10-2*5^(1/2))^(1/2))-7/5/(10-2*5^(1/2))^(1/2)*arctan((4*x-1-5^(1/2))/(10-2*5^(1/2))^(1/2))*5^(1/2)+3/10*5^(1/2)*ln(2*x^2-x+5^(1/2)*x+2)+7/5/(10+2*5^(1/2))^(1/2)*arctan((4*x-1+5^(1/2))/(10+2*5^(1/2))^(1/2))*5^(1/2)+5/(10+2*5^(1/2))^(1/2)*arctan((4*x-1+5^(1/2))/(10+2*5^(1/2))^(1/2))

To parse this properly, you need to know that in ASCII, Maple prints a^b*c to mean (a^b)*c.

When differentiated, the above produces a result that looks quite different from the original integrand, but when the difference between the two is plotted, it produces a plot of random roundoff noise. Probably, with more work one could demonstrate the equality of the two.

Note that the numerator multiplied by x+1 is -x^4+x^3-x^2+x+4= - denominator +5, and the denominator multiplied by x+1 is x^5+1. You can find the complex roots of x^5+1=0 and factor it.

ehild

Ray beat me by 1 minute :)

The wolfram alpha answer is the same as you would get from partial fractions.

(x+1)(x^4-x^3+x^2-x+1)=x^5+1.

X^5+1=0 has got the roots exp(i(2k+1)∏/5) for k=0,1,2,3,4.

X^5+1 can be factored as

x^5+1=(x-ei∏/5)(x-ei3∏/5)(x-ei5∏/5)(x-ei7∏/5)(x-ei9∏/5)

The product of the first and last factor is
(x-ei∏/5)(x-ei9∏/5)=(x-ei∏/5)(x-e-i∏/5)=x2-2cos(∏/5)+1.

In the same way, (x-ei3∏/5)(x-ei7∏/5)=x2-2cos(3∏/5)+1.

It is known (or you can prove ) that cos(∏/5)=(1+√5)/4 and cos(3∏/5)=(1-√5)/4.

So the denominator in the integrand can be factored as
(x2-x(1+√5)/2+1)(x2-x(1-√5)/2+1).

ehild

SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##

The Mathematica answer is a nicely-concise representation of the antiderivative. It's a rootsum: a sum over the roots of a polynomial. This is what I think you should do. Solve (via partial fractions):

[tex]\int \frac{-x^3+2x^2-3x+4}{(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d)}dx[/tex]

and then see if you can formulate your answer in terms of a rootsum.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the integral of a rational function?

The integral of a rational function is the process of finding the area under the curve of the function. It is denoted as ∫f(x)dx and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How do you solve the integral of a rational function?

To solve the integral of a rational function, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fraction decomposition. It is important to first simplify the rational function as much as possible before attempting to integrate.

3. Can all rational functions be integrated?

Yes, all rational functions can be integrated. However, the resulting integral may not always be expressible in terms of elementary functions and may require the use of special functions or numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral of a rational function?

A definite integral of a rational function is the specific value of the integral between two given limits. It represents the area under the curve within a specific interval. An indefinite integral of a rational function is a general form of the integral, without any specific limits, and includes a constant of integration.

5. How is the integral of a rational function used in real-world applications?

The integral of a rational function has many real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a varying force, finding the average value of a function, and determining the volume of a solid with a curved surface. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.