Sound wave Interference from Two Speakers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a quiet spot based on the distance from speakers and the value of "n." The student conducts an experiment with speakers at a certain distance and a signal generator producing a single tone. The wavelength is calculated and the path difference is compared to λ. If it is double the size, it is constructive interference and not a quiet spot.
aatari
Hi guys I am having trouble determining a quite spot based on where you stand in respect to distance from the speakers. I have solved the question below but I need someone to explain to me how the "n" value can be used to determine a quite or not-quite spot. Am I looking for whole numbers? If n is a whole number its constructive interference and therefore, noisy spot and if n is not a whole number then its destructive interference and a quite spot?

Can someone please help!

Homework Statement

A student enters Best Buy prepared to buy a pair of speakers. Before he does, he conducts an experiment with them. He places them 4.0 m apart and then connects a signal generator to both speakers that produces a single tone of 240 Hz. He then walks in front of the speakers so that he is 2.0 m from one speaker and 5.0 m from the other. If the speed of the sound in the room is 360 m/s, will he be standing in a “quiet” spot? Explain.

Homework Equations

v = f. λ
PD = (n-1/2) λ

3. The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 360/240
λ = 1.5 m

PD = (n-1/2) λ
|5.0 – 2.0| = (n – 0.5) 1.5
3.0 = 1.5n – 0.75
3.0 + 0.75 = 1.5n
3.75 = 1.5n
n = 3.75/1.5
n = 2.5

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend that you approach this more conceptually. You have found the wavelength. How does the path difference compare to λ?

TSny said:
I would recommend that you approach this more conceptually. You have found the wavelength. How does the path difference compare to λ?
It double the size of the wavelength. So its constructive interference and the person will not be standing at a quite spot.

Yes, I think that's all there is to it. (quite → quiet)

Likes aatari

What is sound wave interference from two speakers?

Sound wave interference from two speakers occurs when sound waves from two separate sources meet and overlap. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a louder sound, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create a quieter sound.

What causes sound wave interference from two speakers?

The overlapping of sound waves from two speakers can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the positioning and distance between the speakers, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves.

What are the types of interference that can occur with two speakers?

There are two main types of interference that can occur with two speakers: constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference happens when the peaks and troughs of the sound waves align, resulting in a louder sound. Destructive interference occurs when the peaks and troughs of the sound waves are opposite, resulting in a quieter sound or complete cancellation of the sound.

How can sound wave interference from two speakers be controlled?

Sound wave interference from two speakers can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the speakers, as well as the positioning and orientation of the speakers. Additionally, using speakers with different frequencies or adjusting the volume and equalization can also help control interference.

What are some real-world applications of sound wave interference from two speakers?

Sound wave interference from two speakers can be utilized in a variety of applications, such as noise-cancelling headphones, stereo systems, and concert sound systems. It is also used in fields like acoustics, telecommunications, and audio engineering for creating surround sound and improving sound quality.