Source of Heavier than Iron Nucleosynthesis

In summary, astrophysicists have been debating whether supernovae or neutron star collisions are the main source of heavier elements in the periodic table. Recent evidence from the observation of a neutron star merger suggests that these elements are produced from decompressed neutron star material. However, the exact proportion of r-process material from each source is still unknown. Further research and study is needed to fully understand this cosmic mystery.
SciencewithDrJ
About 10 days ago, I read this in the Nature journal:

http://www.nature.com/news/collidin...mysteries-1.22829?WT.ec_id=NEWSDAILY-20171016

I quote: "Over the past decade or so, astrophysicists had come to believe that this was the most plausible mechanism to explain the abundance of the heavier elements of the periodic table1. "

Which is a more significant contributor to the nucleosynthesis of heavier than iron elements: supernovae or neutron star collisions? Any evidence available on this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think your question is still being debated. http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~burrows/classes/541/r-process is a nice set of slides outlining the issues. The fact that we saw evidence of these heavy elements being produced in the recent neutron star merger says that these elements are produced from decompressed neutron star material. And for the first time we were able to measure how much material is ejected. Quoting from this paper, they say,
"We find that if ~10% of the matter dynamically ejected from BNS mergers is converted to r-process elements, GW170817-like BNS mergers could fully account for the amount of r-process material observed in the Milky Way"

But I think your question of how much of the r-process material comes from supernovae and how much from NS mergers is still open.

Likes BvU and SciencewithDrJ
phyzguy said:
I think your question is still being debated. http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~burrows/classes/541/r-process is a nice set of slides outlining the issues. The fact that we saw evidence of these heavy elements being produced in the recent neutron star merger says that these elements are produced from decompressed neutron star material. And for the first time we were able to measure how much material is ejected. Quoting from this paper, they say,
"We find that if ~10% of the matter dynamically ejected from BNS mergers is converted to r-process elements, GW170817-like BNS mergers could fully account for the amount of r-process material observed in the Milky Way"

But I think your question of how much of the r-process material comes from supernovae and how much from NS mergers is still open.

Excellent feedback, thank you for this valuable input.

What is "Source of Heavier than Iron Nucleosynthesis"?

The "Source of Heavier than Iron Nucleosynthesis" refers to the process by which elements heavier than iron, such as gold and uranium, are created in the universe. This process is also known as the rapid neutron-capture process, or r-process.

What is the main source of heavier than iron elements?

The main source of heavier than iron elements is the explosions of massive stars, known as supernovae. During these explosions, extremely high temperatures and pressures allow for the creation of heavier elements through nuclear fusion reactions.

How does the r-process differ from the s-process?

The r-process differs from the s-process in both the speed and location of the element creation. The r-process occurs very quickly, in a matter of seconds, in the explosive environments of supernovae. The s-process, on the other hand, occurs over a much longer period of time, in the cores of stars.

What role do neutron stars play in the r-process?

Neutron stars play a crucial role in the r-process by providing the extreme conditions necessary for the creation of heavier elements. When a massive star explodes, it can leave behind a neutron star, which has incredibly high pressures and temperatures that allow for the r-process to occur.

Why is the study of the r-process important?

The study of the r-process is important for understanding the origins of the elements in our universe. It also helps us to better understand the processes and conditions within supernovae and neutron stars. Additionally, the r-process is responsible for creating many of the elements that are essential for life on Earth.