Sources of funding for undergrad summer research

In summary, the speaker has found summer work with a post-doc at their university and is seeking advice on how to secure funding for the project. They have already cold-called the post-doc and are interested in any suggestions or resources for finding fellowships or grants, particularly in the US. The speaker also mentions the possibility of departmental or university funding and suggests searching forums for "REU" and "internship" for more information.
pantheid
Hey guys, I found summer work with a post-doc in my University. I will be working with him on a side project that he's had an interest in for some time, but could only start it this coming summer because of lack of time. However, because he's only a post-doc (and I only got the position by cold-calling him and saying "hey I'm interested in that too, let's work together"), I have no funding. Can someone provide advice on how I might find a fellowship or grant that will fund my summer work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would also be interested in member's suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
pantheid said:
Can someone provide advice on how I might find a fellowship or grant that will fund my summer work?

This sort of thing often depends on which country you are studying in, and/or are originally from.

Am from the US, will be studying in the US.

Please browse/search the Academic Guidance forum for "REU" and "internship".

Zz.

I think your best bet is to ask your department office at the university about possible sources of departmental or university funds that can be arranged on relatively short notice. There may be formal state or national programs for this sort of thing, but if they exist, the application deadlines have almost surely passed.

1. What are the different sources of funding available for undergraduate summer research?

Some of the common sources of funding for undergraduate summer research include grants from government agencies, private foundations, university funding programs, and industry partnerships.

2. How can I find funding opportunities for my undergraduate summer research project?

You can start by checking with your university's research office or department for any available funding opportunities. You can also search online databases and websites dedicated to funding for undergraduate research projects.

3. Is it possible to receive funding from multiple sources for my undergraduate summer research project?

Yes, it is possible to receive funding from multiple sources for your undergraduate summer research project. However, you should carefully review the guidelines and restrictions of each funding source before applying to avoid any conflicts or overlaps.

4. What are some tips for writing a successful funding proposal for my undergraduate summer research project?

Some tips for writing a successful funding proposal include clearly outlining your research project and its significance, demonstrating your qualifications and experience, providing a detailed budget and timeline, and highlighting any potential outcomes or benefits.

5. Are there any alternative sources of funding for undergraduate summer research besides grants?

Yes, there may be alternative sources of funding such as scholarships, fellowships, and crowdfunding platforms. These options may have different eligibility requirements and application processes, so you should research them thoroughly before applying.