Sources to learn about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the Adiabatic Theorem in Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics text, which includes the Berry phase and Aharonov-Bohm effect. The person is looking for additional sources to learn more about these topics, but only as an undergraduate student. Sakurai is suggested as a good resource, with the recommendation to have a good understanding of the first half of Griffiths before diving into it. The person also mentions that the adiabatic theorem and Berry's phases are complex topics that require a strong understanding of Sakurai's text.
Joker93
Hello,
I recently went through Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics text and there is a chapter called the Adiabatic Theorem that includes Berry phase and the Aharonov-Bohm effect.
As I found them very interesting, I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some good sources(books, internet links etc) to learn more about them.
Please keep in mind that I am only an undergraduate student, so difficult graduate stuff might not be of very use for me.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sakurai explains it quite well in chapter 5. Chapter 2 includes the aharonov boom effect which is then covered again in chapter 5.

radium said:
Sakurai explains it quite well in chapter 5. Chapter 2 includes the aharonov boom effect which is then covered again in chapter 5.
thanks for answering!But isn't sakurai a graduates test?

After you've read the first half of Griffiths you should be able to understand it. When I learned quantum mechanics, I read the first few chapters of Griffiths and Shankar and then went straight to Sakurai. Also, the adiabatic theorem and Berry's phases are very subtle topics. In order to understand them well you need to know a lot of the stuff in Sakurai at least.

radium said:
After you've read the first half of Griffiths you should be able to understand it. When I learned quantum mechanics, I read the first few chapters of Griffiths and Shankar and then went straight to Sakurai. Also, the adiabatic theorem and Berry's phases are very subtle topics. In order to understand them well you need to know a lot of the stuff in Sakurai at least.
ok,thanks..

1. What are the main sources to learn about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem?

The main sources to learn about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem are textbooks, research papers, online lectures, and scientific articles.

2. What are some recommended textbooks for learning about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem?

Some recommended textbooks for learning about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem are "Geometric Phases in Physics" by A. Shapere and F. Wilczek, "Topological Phases in Quantum Theory" by B. Simon, and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz.

3. Are there any online lectures available for learning about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem?

Yes, there are many online lectures available on platforms like YouTube and Coursera that cover Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem. Some recommended lectures are "Berry Phase and Topological Phases of Matter" by Prof. Sankar Das Sarma, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by Prof. Leonard Susskind, and "Quantum Mechanics II" by Prof. Ramamurti Shankar.

4. How can I stay updated on the latest research on Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem?

You can stay updated on the latest research on Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem by regularly reading scientific journals such as Physical Review Letters, attending conferences and seminars, and following researchers and institutions on social media.

5. Can you provide some examples of real-world applications of Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem?

Some real-world applications of Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem include quantum computing, topological insulators, and magnetic resonance imaging. Berry phases also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrons in solid-state materials and can help in designing new electronic devices with unique properties.