SPACE ROCKS: Latest meteorite into my collection

In summary: Africa In summary, Dave has a collection of rocks from outer space that he enjoys holding and displaying. He has a new piece of rocks from a meteorite fall that he purchased at a rock and mineral show. The dark material in the piece is the olivine. Knowing the seller and looking at the samples online helps Dave identify whether the rocks he is buying are genuine meteorites.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
I have a bit of a love affair with rocks that come from outer space. To hold a piece of rock that has zoomed
through space for zillions of years before finally crashing to Earth still gives me that WOW factor.

I have around 55 samples in my collection from many different falls around the world.
The one below is the latest addition to the collection

A slice of a piece of the Brahin Meteorite, from the Brahin area, SE of Minsk, Belarus.

A pallasite, which is a type of stony-iron meteorite that are relatively rare. That is, they are not the commonly
found type of stony irons. The stony part in pallasite meteorites is usually olivine. There are only
61 known pallasite falls, 10 of them from Antarctica.
So far, I now have sample from 4 of those falls ( none from the south pole as yet).

My sample is about 30 grams and is a 5mm thick slice.

The main fall was found in 1810 and includes around 820kg of material. An additional buried
mass of around 227kg was found in 2002.

20191124_152650sm.jpg

The dark material is the olivine

A link to Wiki for info on Pallasites

A link to the Meteoritical Bulletin Database for this sample.cheers
Dave

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, DennisN, Bystander and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice collection @davenn !

Did you buy / trade for them or actually travel to the site?

How do you know they are genuine fragments from a meteorite ? as opposed to rock with similar composition found here on Earth?

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
Did you buy / trade for them or actually travel to the site?

That one above, I purchased yesterday ( saturday) at a rock and mineral show that does the
rounds locally 4 times a year. All mine have been purchased from shops/traders I have visited in
Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada.

jedishrfu said:
How do you know they are genuine fragments from a meteorite ? as opposed to rock with similar composition found here on Earth?

Knowing the seller helps lots. I also know the main seller that organises these mineral shows
and he is very particular about who he invites to set up trading tables.
Also, there is much info on the net as in the 2 links I gave that meteorite samples can be
looked up and identified. Having been a collector for many years, I get to know and recognise
the various meteorites that traders have for sale. Ones from particular falls have their own
unique look.
So far I haven't purchased any from online traders. Looking at the samples that I have viewed,
I'm pretty sure they could be trusted. These guys have major businesses trading meteorites,
getting caught out selling fakes would put them out of business very quickly. When you go look at
the big sellers online, they have been around for quite a few years.

As far as I'm aware, there are no natural Earth rocks that look like pallasites and that pretty much
goes for the other types as well eg., chondrites ( or have the same composition)Dave

here's a few more from the collection ...

Brenham Pallasite - Kansas, USA

Brenham Pallasite - Kansas, USA #025 sm.jpg

Campo del Cielo - Argentina - Iron ( nickel/Iron)

Campo del Cielo - Argen - #021 sm.jpg

Gibeon, Namibia, SW Africa

Gibeon - Namibia - #030 sm.jpg

Sericho Pallasite - Kenya

Sericho Pallasite - Kenya - #026 sm.jpg

Likes Klystron, Bystander and anorlunda

1. What is a meteorite?

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, that originates in outer space and survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and impacts the Earth's surface.

2. How do meteorites end up on Earth?

Meteorites can end up on Earth when they are ejected from the surface of a larger body, such as a planet or moon, due to impacts from other objects. They can also be captured by a planet's gravity and pulled towards its surface.

3. What are the different types of meteorites?

Meteorites can be divided into three main categories: stony meteorites, iron meteorites, and stony-iron meteorites. Within these categories, there are several subtypes based on their mineral composition and structure.

4. How old are meteorites?

The age of a meteorite can vary, but most are believed to be around 4.6 billion years old, which is the age of the solar system. Some meteorites have been found to be as old as 4.56 billion years old.

5. How can I tell if a rock is a meteorite?

There are several characteristics that can help identify a meteorite, such as a dark, crusty exterior called a fusion crust, a magnetic attraction, and small, round structures called chondrules. However, the best way to determine if a rock is a meteorite is to have it analyzed by a professional.