Spacecraft orbit homework problem

In summary, we discussed the scenario of a spacecraft in circular orbit around the Earth, where the rocket motor is fired to reduce its speed and make the orbit elliptical. We expressed the initial speed, v_c, in terms of the Earth's radius, height from the surface, and gravitational acceleration. Then, we found the required speed, v_0, for the spacecraft to land horizontally on the Earth's surface at the perigee of the elliptical orbit, ignoring friction. Finally, we expressed the eccentricity of the elliptic orbit in terms of the Earth's radius and height.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose a spacecraft of speed [itex]v_c[/itex] is in a circular orbit around the Earth at a height H from the surface of the earth. The rocket motor is fired in the opposite direction of motion to reduce the satellite's speed to [itex]v_0[/itex] and make the orbit elliptical. Let R denote the Earth's radius and g the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the earth.

A. Express [itex]v_c[/itex] in terms of R, H, and g.

B. For the spacecraft to land on the Earth surface horizontally at the perigee of the elliptic orbit, find [itex]v_0[/itex] in terms of R, H, and g. Ignore friction.

C. Express the eccentricity of the elliptic orbit in terms of R and H.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A I just used the energy equation for a circular orbit, noting r=R+H, k=GMm and g=GM/R^2,

[tex] E = T+V=\frac{1}{2}mv_c^2 - \frac{k}{r} = -\frac{k}{2r}[/tex]

[tex]v_c=\left ( \frac{gR^2}{R+H} \right )^{1/2}[/tex]

For part B, I redid the work from part A for an ellipse, i.e.

[tex] E = T+V=\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 - \frac{k}{r} = -\frac{k}{2a}[/tex]

[tex]v_0 = \sqrt{2gR} \left [ R \left (\frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{2a} \right ) \right ]^{1/2}[/tex]

This is where I start having problems. The problem asks for v0 in terms of R, H, and g..but is it not true that when the spacecraft is landing at perigee H=0 and r=R?

The answer I ended up getting for this part came from using r=R=a(1-e) where e is the eccentricity, but I feel shaky about this.

Any thoughts on part B?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This is my opinion.

Point [tex]v_0[/tex] is the farthest point and
[tex]
v_0 \ \bot \ R+H.
[/tex]

The nearest point is R.

So we can conclude that

[tex]
2a=2R+H.
[/tex]

1. What is a spacecraft orbit homework problem?

A spacecraft orbit homework problem is a type of problem that requires the use of mathematical equations and principles to determine the trajectory and movement of a spacecraft in space. It may involve calculating the orbit path, velocity, and other parameters of the spacecraft.

2. How do I approach a spacecraft orbit homework problem?

Approaching a spacecraft orbit homework problem involves understanding the basic principles of orbital mechanics and using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are some common challenges in solving spacecraft orbit homework problems?

Some common challenges in solving spacecraft orbit homework problems include understanding the various factors that affect the orbit of a spacecraft, such as gravitational forces, atmospheric drag, and orbital eccentricity. Additionally, accurately interpreting and applying the mathematical equations can also be a challenge.

4. What are some tips for solving spacecraft orbit homework problems?

Some tips for solving spacecraft orbit homework problems include drawing diagrams and visualizing the problem, using units consistently, and double-checking calculations for accuracy. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. What can I learn from solving spacecraft orbit homework problems?

Solving spacecraft orbit homework problems can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deeper understanding of orbital mechanics. It can also provide insight into the complexities of space travel and the challenges of navigating and controlling spacecraft in space.