Spacetime for non-scientists

In summary: Name]In summary, the author of a science fiction novel is seeking a science advisor to review and provide feedback on the scientific concepts presented in the book. The author has intentionally simplified complex concepts for a layman audience and is offering acknowledgement and a copy of the book for the advisor's assistance. A professional scientist has expressed interest in the role but recommends using a professional email address for communication.
KBarnes
Summary:: Sci-Fi author looking for science advisor

Hi everyone :)

I have just completed the first draft of a novel and am looking for someone to review the science and confirm I'm not wildly off base, misunderstanding, or otherwise talking out of my ass before I begin the edits for the second draft.

In my book, the inventor of time travel explains some concepts to a layman with no real background in theoretical physics. She intentionally keeps it fairly simple to not overwhelm her audience, comparing spacetime to a cake and a ship with an Alcubierre drive to a banana. The explanations run just about 2,000 words, or seven double spaced pages.

Would any of you be interested in taking a quick look and letting me know if I am making sense, in exchange for an acknowledgment credit and a copy of the book if/when it is published?

If you are interested, feel free to ping me at <personal email address removed>

Thanks!

K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Smith

Dear K. Smith,

I understand the importance of accuracy and credibility in science fiction writing. I would be happy to review your draft and provide feedback on the scientific concepts presented in your novel. My background in theoretical physics and experience in scientific communication make me well-equipped to review and assess the accuracy of your explanations.

I appreciate your approach of simplifying complex concepts for a layman audience, and I am confident that we can work together to ensure that your explanations are both accurate and accessible.

I am certainly interested in being acknowledged in your book and receiving a copy when it is published. However, as a professional scientist, I cannot provide my personal email address for communication. Instead, I recommend using a professional email address or connecting with me through a professional networking platform.

Thank you for considering me as your science advisor. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is the framework in which all physical events take place.

2. How is spacetime related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory also introduced the concept of spacetime, where the laws of physics can be described as a four-dimensional spacetime fabric.

3. Can spacetime be warped or bent?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass can warp or bend the fabric of spacetime. This is known as the theory of general relativity and has been proven through various experiments and observations.

4. How does spacetime affect the behavior of light?

Spacetime affects the behavior of light by causing it to follow a curved path when passing through regions with strong gravitational fields. This is known as gravitational lensing and has been observed in space.

5. Is spacetime the same as the concept of time?

No, spacetime is not the same as the concept of time. Time is a dimension in spacetime, along with the three dimensions of space. Spacetime also includes the concept of space, while time is a measurement of the duration of events.