Spacetime, like an isometric weather map?

In summary, it makes the case that space across the 2D analog of the universe could be similar to an isometric weather map. The downhill slope of a high would cause acceleration, and this could account for why we haven't seen any new galaxies form.
narrator
Novice question :blushing:

I've been reading Brian Greene's "The Hidden Reality".

It occurred to me that spacetime across the 2D analog of the U could be much like an isometric weather map. Could it be that the U isn't expanding, but that our region, like a High on a weather map is rushing to fill a Low pressure region outside our OU? The downhill slope of the High would account for acceleration.

What led to this line of thinking was the part in Green's book where he discusses densities in some patches of space, suggesting that whole regions, the size of our OU could be so dense that the whole region becomes a black hole. It made me think of the rubber mat, our OU on the crest of a bump, randomly surrounded by other Highs and Lows (OU size black holes) all feeding each other like a ginormous weather system. It would also go some way to explaining why no new galaxies have "appeared" (as their light finally reaches us).

Space news on Phys.org
narrator said:
Novice question :blushing:

I've been reading Brian Greene's "The Hidden Reality".

It occurred to me that spacetime across the 2D analog of the U could be much like an isometric weather map. Could it be that the U isn't expanding, but that our region, like a High on a weather map is rushing to fill a Low pressure region outside our OU? The downhill slope of the High would account for acceleration.

What led to this line of thinking was the part in Green's book where he discusses densities in some patches of space, suggesting that whole regions, the size of our OU could be so dense that the whole region becomes a black hole. It made me think of the rubber mat, our OU on the crest of a bump, randomly surrounded by other Highs and Lows (OU size black holes) all feeding each other like a ginormous weather system. It would also go some way to explaining why no new galaxies have "appeared" (as their light finally reaches us).
Normal matter feels no pressure whatsoever on cosmological scales. Furthermore, pressure itself is an energy density, and therefore acts as a source of gravity. So having positive pressure in our observable universe tends to slow down the expansion even faster.

That said, one of the possible explanations entertained a bit ago was that maybe our local region was just an underdense region of the universe, and we see an expansion not because of any sort of dark energy, but instead because there is a lot more matter further away than there is here, pulling everything away from us.

But this sort of idea simply doesn't hold up to detailed examination of the properties of expansion: our observations fit dark energy, not this "void model".

Chalnoth said:
But this sort of idea simply doesn't hold up to detailed examination of the properties of expansion: our observations fit dark energy, not this "void model".

Thanks Chalnoth, I had thought more about this since posting, and while I like the idea that waves, motion and various pressures have analogs at different scales, further reading of Greene's book showed me how developed "expansion" theory is, negating my idea. On the other hand, it's nice to know someone had a similar idea at one point (I don't feel so silly.. lol).

Loving Greene's book.

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is used in physics to describe the physical universe and how objects move through it.

2. What is an isometric weather map?

An isometric weather map is a type of map that uses lines of equal atmospheric pressure to show weather patterns. The lines are drawn at regular intervals and connect areas with the same pressure, creating a three-dimensional representation of the atmosphere.

3. How does spacetime relate to an isometric weather map?

Spacetime and an isometric weather map are both mathematical representations of our physical world. Just as an isometric weather map shows weather patterns in a specific region, spacetime shows how objects move and interact with each other in our universe.

4. What is the significance of understanding spacetime?

Understanding spacetime is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of physics and how the universe works. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in space and time.

5. How is spacetime measured and studied?

Spacetime is measured and studied through various scientific methods, such as observations, experiments, and mathematical models. Scientists use tools like telescopes, satellites, and particle accelerators to gather data and make observations about spacetime.