Spacetime & Rotating Planet: Velocities Impact

In summary, spacetime has no affect on rotating planets, time is relative based on a frame of reference, and it is only the perception of time that changes.
PaulRacer
What affect does spacetime have on a rotating planet? (Velocities in the center differ from surface velocities)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer but here's what i think the answer might be...

Spacetime does not, and can not, affect different parts of the same object differently.

Here’s why I think it can’t.

Time is relative based on a frame of reference. Which means, a planet (the planet) has only 1 frame of spacetime reference – regardless if it is spinning or not. It experiences time as whole – as a single frame.

The only way time differs is when spacetime is observed from, at least, two reference frames. It’s only the perception of time that differs – not time itself. Time doesn’t really change the way you’re thinking it does, like energy. The only thing that changes is how time is perceived – relatively speaking.

In other words, a person standing on the surface of the Earth will perceive time at a slower rate than a person at the center – but it’s only perception. This does not imply that the Earth itself is experiencing different times. It only implies that, from the reference frame of someone on the earth’s surface comparing itself against the frame of person in the core, that time slows down.

Bottom line, time is experienced by Earth at a constant rate, surface to core, - not a varible rate. This is regardless of the Earth "standing still", rotating, orbiting, or arching through the cosmos.

LawrenceM said:
I don't know the answer but here's what i think the answer might be...

Spacetime does not, and can not, affect different parts of the same object differently.

Here’s why I think it can’t.

Time is relative based on a frame of reference. Which means, a planet (the planet) has only 1 frame of spacetime reference – regardless if it is spinning or not. It experiences time as whole – as a single frame.

The only way time differs is when spacetime is observed from, at least, two reference frames. It’s only the perception of time that differs – not time itself. Time doesn’t really change the way you’re thinking it does, like energy. The only thing that changes is how time is perceived – relatively speaking.

In other words, a person standing on the surface of the Earth will perceive time at a slower rate than a person at the center – but it’s only perception. This does not imply that the Earth itself is experiencing different times. It only implies that, from the reference frame of someone on the earth’s surface comparing itself against the frame of person in the core, that time slows down.

Bottom line, time is experienced by Earth at a constant rate, surface to core, - not a varible rate. This is regardless of the Earth "standing still", rotating, orbiting, or arching through the cosmos.

This is wrong.

For a quantitative analysis, see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1543402#post1543402.

Is it possible that this would be cumulative and could possibly wind the Earth matter like a spring? To put it another way, if you had a stick the length of the diameter of the Earth and spun it at the same rate for the same amount of time as the earth, would the stick appear as a spiral? (I am wondering if this is why our galaxy looks the way it does.)

I know these examples are different because of gravitational time effects but would either be true? I attempted to understand the mathematical analysis but came up waaaayyyy short.(2x9=4 right?) Any help appreciated.

Related to Spacetime & Rotating Planet: Velocities Impact

1. What is spacetime and how does it relate to rotating planets?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is used to describe the structure of the universe and how objects move through it. Rotating planets, such as Earth, cause distortions in spacetime due to their mass and rotation, which can affect the motion of objects on or near their surface.

2. How does the rotation of a planet impact its velocity?

The rotation of a planet can impact its velocity in several ways. Firstly, the rotation of a planet can create a centrifugal force that opposes the gravitational force, causing objects on the planet's surface to move faster. Additionally, the rotation of a planet can affect the Coriolis force, which is responsible for the direction of winds and ocean currents, thus impacting the velocity of these fluids.

3. How does the velocity of a rotating planet affect its gravitational pull?

The velocity of a rotating planet does not directly affect its gravitational pull. However, as mentioned before, the rotation of a planet can create a centrifugal force that opposes the gravitational force, resulting in a slightly weaker gravitational pull near the equator compared to the poles. This effect is known as the equatorial bulge and is more prominent in larger, faster-rotating planets.

4. Can the velocity of a rotating planet change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a rotating planet can change over time. This can occur due to external forces, such as collisions with other objects or the influence of neighboring planets, or internal forces, such as changes in the planet's mass distribution or rotation rate. These changes can be small and gradual, or sudden and significant, depending on the circumstances.

5. How does the impact of a rotating planet's velocity affect its atmosphere?

The velocity of a rotating planet can impact its atmosphere in various ways. The Coriolis force, which is influenced by the planet's rotation, can affect the direction and strength of winds in the atmosphere. The velocity of the rotating planet can also impact the distribution of gases in the atmosphere, as well as the planet's overall climate and weather patterns.