Spacetime: The cause of matter?

In summary, there is a discussion about the idea of super-substantivalism, which suggests that matter is created by a curvature in spacetime rather than the other way around. This has sparked questions about whether particles are just manifestations of fields and whether it makes sense to view mass as a manifestation of spacetime curvature. However, the paper being referenced is not a physics model and does not make testable predictions, making it off-topic for discussion in this forum.
Buckethead
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Thoughts on the idea that the curvature of spacetime causes matter and not the other way around
In a paper written by Jonathan Schaffer entitled Spacetime the one substance (https://philpapers.org/rec/SCHSTO-7) which I have not read but which I found as a reference in a book by philosopher Philip Goff, Goff suggests that matter is actually created by a curvature in spacetime rather than the curvature of spacetime being caused by mass. An idea he refers to as super-substantivalism.

This idea is fascinating to me since I have seen videos or books (sorry no references) suggesting that particles an just manifestations of fields. So my questions are:
Is it generally accepted that particles are indeed just manifestations of fields and if so:
Does it make sense to leave out that middleman and just go one level deeper and accept that mass is just a manifestation of curvature of spacetime? It's an appealing idea and I was wondering what thoughts folks have on this idea?

Likes Delta2
Space news on Phys.org
In Einstein equation LHS express a spacetime feature and RHS express energy-momentum. One is always accompanied by the other but it may not be appropriate to say one comes first then the other follows.

Likes Buckethead
Buckethead said:
Goff suggests that matter is actually created by a curvature in spacetime rather than the curvature of spacetime being caused by mass.
The paper you reference is philosophy, not physics. A physics model of this suggestion would have to actually do math to construct a model that actually made testable predictions. The paper does not do that. As such, it is off topic for discussion in this forum.

Thread closed.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is often described as a four-dimensional continuum in which all events in the universe occur.

2. How does spacetime cause matter?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, matter and energy are manifestations of the curvature of spacetime. The more matter and energy present in a certain area, the greater the curvature of spacetime, and vice versa. This curvature is what causes objects to move and interact with each other.

3. Is spacetime the only cause of matter?

While spacetime is a major factor in the formation and behavior of matter, it is not the only cause. Other forces, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces, also play a role in the creation and behavior of matter.

4. Can spacetime be observed or measured?

Spacetime itself cannot be directly observed or measured, but its effects can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by matter.

5. How does the concept of spacetime impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of spacetime has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, particularly in the fields of physics and cosmology. It has led to the development of theories such as general relativity and the Big Bang theory, which have helped us understand the origins and evolution of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which rely on precise measurements of spacetime to function accurately.