Spark Gap Transmitter: EM Wave Generation & Transmission

In summary, spark gap transmitters use a high-frequency alternating current supplied to an antenna through an LC circuit. The spark gap is a non-linear VI characteristic with high frequency components and is part of the resonant LC "tank" circuit. The tank inductor's magnetic field acts as a dipole antenna, and an external antenna can be lightly coupled to the tank coil. The transmitter produces a damped oscillation and can only generate bursts of oscillation, not a continuous wave. Arc transmitters, on the other hand, have a continuous arc across a gap and can produce a continuous wave. Shannon limit and spread spectrum concepts are applicable to spark transmissions, and the tank coil is better at radiating higher harmonics. Marconi's first
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I recently read about the early spark gap transmitter..But I don't understand how the EM waves are generated and transmitted..Induction coil creates sparks in the gap but what produces the waves and how are they transmitted?? Need I study electromagnetic waves in detail??

Engineering news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
I recently read about the early spark gap transmitter..But I don't understand how the EM waves are generated and transmitted..Induction coil creates sparks in the gap but what produces the waves and how are they transmitted?? Need I study electromagnetic waves in detail??

The transmitter is a generator of high frequency alternating current, which is supplied to an antenna. The transmitter is based on an LC circuit, which has a resonant frequency, like a bell. The capacitor is connected to a high voltage DC power supply, and as it charges up, the voltage across it gradually rises. When it reaches a critical value, the spark gap breaks down, forming a low resistance path and connecting the capacitor in series with the inductor. This creates the LC circuit, and several cycles of damped oscillation then takes place, gradually falling in amplitude as the energy is lost. Most of the energy is radiated from the antenna but some is wasted in the losses in the circuit. The transmitter produces bursts of oscillation and cannot produce a continuous wave. Operation is possible up to tens of GHz.

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
..Induction coil creates sparks in the gap but what produces the waves and how are they transmitted??

The thing to realize is that the spark isn't a single pulse discharge across the gap, but that it is an oscillation of arcing back and forwards across the gap
The frequency of that oscillation is covered in tech99's LC circuit description

Dave

Likes cnh1995
The spark gap has a non-linear VI characteristic with high frequency components.
The spark gap is part of, or is tightly coupled to a resonant LC “tank” circuit.
The magnetic field of the tank inductor current is a magnetic dipole antenna.
An external antenna can be lightly coupled to the tank coil.

A “spark” transmitter “plucks” the LC tank at a regular rate which provides a damped oscillation. It generates a rough audio modulated tone.

An “arc” transmitter has a continuous arc across a gap. It produced a continuous wave. I have seen instructions on how to adjust the drip rate of alcohol into the arc chamber to get it running smoothly.

Likes cnh1995
Baluncore said:
The spark gap has a non-linear VI characteristic with high frequency components.
The spark gap is part of, or is tightly coupled to a resonant LC “tank” circuit.

A “spark” transmitter “plucks” the LC tank at a regular rate which provides a damped oscillation. It generates a rough audio modulated tone.

An “arc” transmitter has a continuous arc across a gap. It produced a continuous wave. I have seen instructions on how to adjust the drip rate of alcohol into the arc chamber to get it running smoothly.

Baluncore said:

My feeling is that the tank coil will radiate much less than the antenna, due to its small dimensions.

Likes cnh1995
tech99 said:
My feeling is that the tank coil will radiate much less than the antenna, due to its small dimensions
But of course. The sort of wavelengths that are used with the old spark transmitter were pretty long* and a correspondingly long radiating element is needed in order to match the RF signal adequately and to get a half decent efficiency.
*Largely because of the design of the receiving system.

Baluncore said:
Brilliant bit of history there!

Likes cnh1995
And another bit of history...

The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) got its name because in the early days of radio, it took, a number of relays to get a message across long distances. The early spark transmitter and mostly passive receivers did not offer enough gain for long-range transmission...

http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-history :smile:

Likes cnh1995
Spark transmissions brings a new dimension to the idea of Spread Spectrum !
Shannon limit eat your heart out.

sophiecentaur said:
Spark transmissions brings a new dimension to the idea of Spread Spectrum !
Shannon limit eat your heart out.

Quite agree. However, if we look at the waveform on a CRO, it is an amazingly clean, damped sine wave. Of course, spreading occurs because the modulation envelope is a sawtooth. It is also likely that oscillation could occur at higher resonances in the antenna and tuning coils. Regarding operating frequencies, J Chandra Bose at Cambridge demonstrated results with millimetre waves, using the "loose contact" type of detector. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagadish_Chandra_Bose).

tech99 said:
My feeling is that the tank coil will radiate much less than the antenna, due to its small dimensions.
With a “spark” transmitter there are high frequency harmonics across the spectrum. The tank coil is better at radiating the higher harmonics. Hertz was first to verify Maxwell's theoretical work in the laboratory, at UHF wavelengths using a "spark" transmitter. Marconi's first transatlantic communication in 1901 is now believed to have actually employed a harmonic of his spark coil resonant frequency. It appears he was using HF not LW, but did not realize it. What a missed opportunity. Authorities then allocated all their useless SW bands with wavelengths below 100m to the amateurs, while LW was used for unreliable commercial long distance communications.

Higher harmonics are missing from the “arc” transmitter coil so an external antenna is needed to increase the radiated signal at the resonant frequency. That gave the early “arc” an advantage over the “spark” transmitters for frequency channelisation. From 1898 when Sir Oliver Lodge patented “syntonic” tuning, the bandwidth of signals was narrowed to distinct frequencies. It has taken almost a century to Spread the Spectrum again.

No teacher knew anything about the spark coil we had in the high school lab. I was listening to it from 10m away with some old WW2 headphones, just a diode across each earpiece coil. When I reached up with both hands to remove the headphones I received a shock from the ends of the spring band on the headphones. The Bakelite was a good insulator. I have not repeated the experiment.

1. What is a spark gap transmitter?

A spark gap transmitter is a type of radio transmitter that uses high-voltage discharges in a spark gap to generate electromagnetic waves for communication purposes. It was one of the earliest forms of radio transmitters and was commonly used in the early 20th century.

2. How does a spark gap transmitter generate electromagnetic waves?

A spark gap transmitter works by using a high-voltage power source to create a spark between two electrodes, which creates a burst of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. The frequency of the waves is determined by the distance between the electrodes and the rate of the spark discharges.

3. What are the main components of a spark gap transmitter?

The main components of a spark gap transmitter include a high-voltage power supply, a spark gap, and an antenna. The power supply provides the high voltage needed to create the spark, the spark gap generates the electromagnetic waves, and the antenna transmits the waves into the surrounding space.

4. What is the function of the antenna in a spark gap transmitter?

The antenna in a spark gap transmitter is responsible for transmitting the electromagnetic waves into the surrounding space. It acts as a conductor for the waves, allowing them to travel through the air and be received by a receiver on the other end.

5. What are the limitations of spark gap transmitters?

Spark gap transmitters have several limitations, including their low power output, limited frequency range, and tendency to create interference with other electronic devices. They were eventually replaced by more advanced and efficient forms of radio transmitters, such as vacuum tube and solid-state transmitters.