Special Operations Officer transitioning out

• Physics
  • Thread starter Greatjobdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary: SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", "please" for "please", or "wanna" for "want to" is not acceptable.
Greatjobdude
Hey all,

I majored in Physics with a solid GPA as an undergrad and then I joined the Navy as an officer and spent all of my time in Special Operations with significant combat leadership experience. During my time in I also earned a masters in Physics from the Naval Postgraduate School where I did research/thesis concentrating in the nuclear realm of physics.

Needless to say, I've been in and out of academia over my career and am unclear of the opportunities for someone with a unique background such as myself.

Does anyone have any experience with someone with my background (both in research/degree and occupation)? Or any advice on the best field to transition in?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but perhaps working for a Defense Contractor on weapons systems? That would combine your knowledge of real-world experience with the science.

Your background - it's an 1140?

Thank you for the suggestion about Weapons. I was aiming for leadership opportunities in research too.

I'm an 1130. Any big difference between opportunities for EOD vs NSW?

I suppose one of the main points I'm trying to understand is: Will such a typical military background and education hinder me in pursing non-military physics research employment?

Im curious what kind of job are you thinking about specifically? Most research is done in a university or national lab by PhDs. Are those the settings you are considering, or something else?

ModusPwnd said:
Im curious what kind of job are you thinking about specifically? Most research is done in a university or national lab by PhDs. Are those the settings you are considering, or something else?
If that's the case then looks like going back to school for the PhD is the best bet for me.

That will open many doors for you. Even with a PhD actual research jobs are very competitive, so I suggest a solid backup plan like programming or teaching.

Greatjobdude said:
Will such a typical military background and education hinder me in pursing non-military physics research employment?

No. As an example, Tom Carter got his PhD in particle physics from Duke. He's not just former Navy, he's a former SEAL. Granted, that was 25 years ago, but I don't think the environment has changed.

Greatjobdude said:
If that's the case then looks like going back to school for the PhD is the best bet for me.

PhD will certainly open more doors.

You might also look into SPAWAR if you're around San Diego or Charleston, you could likely find a program management job, or division/departmental scientist job with a masters and your background. Those roles can be hit or miss though, sometimes it's just more advisory or administrative than actual research. It would depend on what code you landed in. Even in the "less technical codes" there is still opportunity, and a good degree of freedom to pursue pitches for funding any idea or research you might have.

Having a nuclear physics and Navy background would help you start a career in power generation as well. I know of power plants, turbine manufacturers, generator manufacturers, and government agencies that background would be helpful and desirable for.

Thank you for the service. :heart:

I think that you will find many opportunities within the defense industry. Those qualifications do give you a variety of options. A great uncle also took a similar path with an engineering degree, then entered the Navy: he recently retired from Boeing and is still able to support his children and even babysits his grandchildren, every day. To correct an above reply: not all research is done within academia, defense contractors do this as well, only just that those positions don't always require a PhD process... A military background should improve, not hinder, your career opportunities! At least it should work that way, I'm not sure if it always does though.

phinds said:
Defense Contractor on weapons systems?

Capitalizing a common noun is unnecessary for this instance unless you are referencing to a specific person. Since you so often get riled up when posters don't know as much as you on a topic and often remind other members they should follow PF rules, I thought you needed a kind reminder to follow the rules too:
Language:
All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted. Pay reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, spacing, and spelling. In particular, "I" is capitalized, there's a space after (but not before) a comma, a period, and other punctuation. Multiple exclamation marks are also discouraged. SMS messaging shorthand ("text-message-speak"), such as using "u" for "you", "please" for "please", or "wanna" for "want to" is not acceptable.

Fervent Freyja said:
Capitalizing a common noun is unnecessary for this instance unless you are referencing to a specific person. Since you so often get riled up when posters don't know as much as you on a topic and often remind other members they should follow PF rules, I thought you needed a kind reminder to follow the rules too:

Didn't you complain that I was a bitter old man at one point? :dademyday:

Fervent Freyja said:
Capitalizing a common noun is unnecessary for this instance.
Good point. I think I'm a German at heart :smile:

Wow.

Everyone thank you so very much for the advice and help! I'm sure my ignorance is apparent in regards to my possible opportunities, but this forum has helped me so much.

I will continue to reach out to various defense companies in hopes if discovering research opportunities is physics.

Do you know of anyone at NRL who might also give you some guidance, especially if you intend to stay in research?

The issue here isn't whether there are projects available. Rather, it is whether they are looking for people. The NIF, for example, has a large military research component alongside the civilian research. So even in the various National Labs such as Los Alamos, Sandia, Livermore, etc., there are significant research work done by and for the military (if that is what you're looking for). And of course, the NRL is the premier US military research facility. It might be something worth exploring, especially in deciding if you do need to go back for your PhD and the field of study you want to go into.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you know of anyone at NRL who might also give you some guidance, especially if you intend to stay in research?

The issue here isn't whether there are projects available. Rather, it is whether they are looking for people. The NIF, for example, has a large military research component alongside the civilian research. So even in the various National Labs such as Los Alamos, Sandia, Livermore, etc., there are significant research work done by and for the military (if that is what you're looking for). And of course, the NRL is the premier US military research facility. It might be something worth exploring, especially in deciding if you do need to go back for your PhD and the field of study you want to go into.

Zz.

On that note, NRL has multiple PhD granting programs for feds who've worked there at least a year; other DoD labs (Naval Surface Warfare Centers and such) have similar programs.

clope023 said:
On that note, NRL has multiple PhD granting programs for feds who've worked there at least a year; other DoD labs (Naval Surface Warfare Centers and such) have similar programs.

Really? NRL grants PhD's?

I know that there are PhD candidates doing their research work there, just like any other US Nat'l labs, but I didn't know they are also capable of granting degrees.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Really? NRL grants PhD's?

I know that there are PhD candidates doing their research work there, just like any other US Nat'l labs, but I didn't know they are also capable of granting degrees.

Zz.

Sorry I wasn't clear, it's not that NRL itself will grant PhD's but they'll send their employees to PhD programs with tuition and such paid plus partial salary, provided the training benefits the employee's branch.

Greatjobdude said:
I suppose one of the main points I'm trying to understand is: Will such a typical military background and education hinder me in pursing non-military physics research employment?

In some circles. I've heard reports that otherwise qualified applicants have been regarded as "too militaristic" usually by departments and institutions with liberal, anti-war attitudes.

But that just narrows your field a bit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-halts-hiring-of-federal-workers-freezes-pay-raises/ar-AAm8QWN?li=BBnbcA1

Not going to have much luck getting into the federal workforce at the moment, still, check out USA jobs.

The easiest way to become a fed right now will be working with a contractor, doing a good job, and getting recongized by the federal workers you deliever to so that they can pull you onboard.

If you want a list of companies to check out who do defensework beyond the big names, pm me.

1. Just because the OP's background is in defense doesn't mean this is the only thing he can do post-PhD. We shouldn't assume.
  2. A PhD takes on average about six years. A lot can happen in the political environment in six years. Just over six years ago the White House and both Houses of Congress were controlled by a different party than holds them today.

Vanadium 50 said:
  1. Just because the OP's background is in defense doesn't mean this is the only thing he can do post-PhD. We shouldn't assume.
  2. A PhD takes on average about six years. A lot can happen in the political environment in six years. Just over six years ago the White House and both Houses of Congress were controlled by a different party than holds them today.

I was posting on the assumption he was looking more for something now, and a PhD as a possible avenue in the future. I think I missed the post where he said "A PhD sounds like the best bet then." My mistake.

clope023 said:
That program is commonly known as the "Palace Knight Program", and it is for entry highly qualified entry level people coming into the national labs.There is still the route of part time PhD work, they will pay your tuition and some expenses, but unless your manager allows it, you won't do it on the payroll.

Dr Transport said:
That program is commonly known as the "Palace Knight Program", and it is for entry highly qualified entry level people coming into the national labs.There is still the route of part time PhD work, they will pay your tuition and some expenses, but unless your manager allows it, you won't do it on the payroll.

Never heard of Palace Knight, NRL and other DoD labs I'm familiar with send federal employees to do PhD's on partial salary as part of an overall training/professional advancement program; you're required to work at the site proportionally to the amount of years you were in the grad program.

Last edited:
Not the official name, but commonly known as that. With the hiring freeze, I am not sure they are open to applications right now.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
I do. Assuming they are still there; I did some research there as an undergraduate. I was honestly looking at getting away from military research/employment since that's been my whole life. But now I'm beginning to realize it might be my best foot in the door. Thank you!

Dr. Courtney said:
In some circles. I've heard reports that otherwise qualified applicants have been regarded as "too militaristic" usually by departments and institutions with liberal, anti-war attitudes.

But that just narrows your field a bit.
One of my biggest concerns with my combat experience and current occupation being all I've professionally done...

Student100 said:
SMART is offical name I believe: https://smart.asee.org/ atleast that's what we called it. :p
Thank you!

Lots of organizations would like a person with your background, DOE/NNSA, DTRA, DARPA to name a few. Are you on good terms with your NPS advisor? They would be a good first point of contact. He/She should have sponsor funding which would be your foot in the door.

Likes berkeman
nbo10 said:
Lots of organizations would like a person with your background, DOE/NNSA, DTRA, DARPA to name a few. Are you on good terms with your NPS advisor? They would be a good first point of contact. He/She should have sponsor funding which would be your foot in the door.
Hiring freeze affects all of those, the govt isn't hiring until at least April at the earliest (so says the HR person I am dealing with at a govt agency).

Ehh... The hiring freeze isn't going to last forever. Organizations that have mission critical needs will find a way to work the system.

nbo10 said:
Ehh... The hiring freeze isn't going to last forever. Organizations that have mission critical needs will find a way to work the system.
I didn't say it was permanent, I just said no applications were being processed until at least April 24th according to my source. My offer letter was stopped and is in limbo because of the freeze and it only needed one more signature before being sent to me.

1. What skills do Special Operations Officers gain that are transferable to civilian jobs?

Special Operations Officers possess a wide range of skills that are highly sought after in the civilian job market. These include strong leadership abilities, effective communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, adaptability, and the ability to work well under pressure. They also have experience in planning and executing complex operations, as well as training and mentoring others.

2. How can a Special Operations Officer effectively market themselves to potential employers?

Special Operations Officers can effectively market themselves by highlighting their unique skills and experiences in their resume and during job interviews. They should focus on their leadership abilities, adaptability, and problem-solving skills, and provide specific examples of how they have utilized these skills in challenging situations. Networking with other professionals and attending job fairs can also help in making connections with potential employers.

3. What challenges do Special Operations Officers face when transitioning to civilian life?

Transitioning from a career in the military to civilian life can be a significant challenge for Special Operations Officers. They may struggle with adjusting to a different work culture and environment, finding a job that matches their skills and interests, and dealing with the loss of a strong support system. Additionally, they may face challenges in translating their military experience into civilian terms and understanding the corporate world's expectations.

4. Are there any resources available to help Special Operations Officers transition to civilian life?

Yes, there are several resources available to help Special Operations Officers transition to civilian life. These include transition assistance programs offered by the military, such as the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) and the Department of Defense SkillBridge program, which provide training, counseling, and job placement assistance. There are also non-profit organizations and government agencies that offer career counseling, job placement services, and educational opportunities for veterans.

5. What are some potential career options for Special Operations Officers after leaving the military?

Special Operations Officers have a diverse set of skills and experiences that make them well-suited for various career paths in the civilian world. Some common career options for them include law enforcement, security, project management, consulting, and executive leadership roles in various industries. They may also choose to pursue higher education and utilize their GI Bill benefits to gain new skills and qualifications for a different career path.