(Relativity) A flash of light is emitted at x1 and absorbed at x1 + l

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of length contraction and time dilation in the context of a moving frame of reference. It is clarified that length contraction only applies to simultaneous measurements and time dilation only applies to objects at a fixed position. The importance of the relativity of simultaneity and the general rule for coordinate transformations, the Lorentz Transformation, is also highlighted. The confusion and misconceptions are addressed and the correct answers are obtained.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
A flash light is emitted at ##x_1## and absorbed at ##x_1 + \ell##.

In a reference frame moving ##v = \beta c## along the x-axis:

a) What is the spatial separation ##\ell'## between the point of emission and absorption?

b) How much time elapses between the emission and absorption?
Relevant Equations
As I have interpreted the formulas

##\ell_{travel} = \frac{\ell_{stationary}}{\gamma}##

##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 -\left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}##

##distance = v \Delta t##

The answers are according to the back of my book (Special Relativity by AP French) the answers are

##\ell \sqrt{\frac{\left(1 - \beta \right)}{\left(1 + \beta \right)}}##

and

##\frac{\left(1 - \beta \right) \gamma \ell}{c}##
My answers are quite different and here are my attempts

a) What is the spatial separation ##\ell'## between the point of emission and absorption? (In the frame going ##v = \beta c##)

From what I know is that moving causes lengths to be contracted according to the formula

##\ell_{travel} = \frac{\ell_{stationary}}{\gamma}## and in our case ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \beta^2}}## so

##\ell_{travel} = \sqrt{1 - \beta^2} \ell##

b) How much time elapses between the emission and absorption?

##d = v \Delta t##

##\Delta t = \frac{d}{v} = \frac{\sqrt{1 - \beta^2} \ell}{\beta c} = \frac{\ell}{\gamma \beta c}##

Apparently I am wrong but I cannot see why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: sorry for the latex mistakes, it should be fixed now.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhDeezNutz said:

Length contraction and time dilation do not apply in all situations.

One way to do this problem is to use the Lorentz transformation equations to calculate the primed coordinates of the emission and reception events.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:
From what I know is that moving causes lengths to be contracted according to the formula

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To add to what George has said:

A "length", by definition, is the spatial distance between two points measured at the same time. If you have a train that is ##100m## long, then that means that the rear of the train (at some time ##t##) and the front of the train (at the same time ##t##) are ##100m## apart. If you measure the position of the two ends at different times, you do not get the length of the train.

Note: length contraction only applies, therefore, to simultaneously measurements.

Time dilation only applies when you consider clocks or objects that are at a fixed position in one frame, when measured in another frame. It does not apply to the time intervals between events that are also separated in space.

Note that, in addition to length contraction and time dilation, you also have the relativity of simultaneity - which is possibly the most important aspect of SR and certainly the most often neglected.

The general rule for coordinate transformations is, as above, the Lorentz Transformation.

Has AP French not emphasised this?

Likes PhDeezNutz
George Jones said:
Length contraction and time dilation do not apply in all situations.

One way to do this problem is to use the Lorentz transformation equations to calculate the primed coordinates of the emission and reception events.
PeroK said:
To add to what George has said:

A "length", by definition, is the spatial distance between two points measured at the same time. If you have a train that is ##100m## long, then that means that the rear of the train (at some time ##t##) and the front of the train (at the same time ##t##) are ##100m## apart. If you measure the position of the two ends at different times, you do not get the length of the train.

Note: length contraction only applies, therefore, to simultaneously measurements.

Time dilation only applies when you consider clocks or objects that are at a fixed position in one frame, when measured in another frame. It does not apply to the time intervals between events that are also separated in space.

Note that, in addition to length contraction and time dilation, you also have the relativity of simultaneity - which is possibly the most important aspect of SR and certainly the most often neglected.

The general rule for coordinate transformations is, as above, the Lorentz Transformation.

Has AP French not emphasised this?
Thank you very much for these posts. I was confusing myself and these posts have done a lot to address the misconceptions I have/had. I will keep all of these in mind as I'm doing the rest of this homework assignment.

AP French has emphasized this but I wasn't thinking straight.

Likes PeroK
Thank you again, I just got my answers to match the book's answers. I guess the biggest trip up I had was distinguishing between "spatial separation" and "length measured"/"temporal separation" and "time measured". Badly worded question in my opinion, but now I know what to watch out for.

1. What is the concept of relativity in regards to a flash of light being emitted and absorbed at different points?

The concept of relativity, as described by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, the timing of a flash of light being emitted and absorbed at different points is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How is the speed of light affected by the emission and absorption of a flash of light at different points?

The speed of light is always constant, regardless of the motion of the observer or the source of light. This means that the speed of light will remain the same whether the flash is emitted and absorbed at the same point or at different points. This is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What is the significance of x1 and x1 + l in the context of a flash of light being emitted and absorbed at different points?

x1 and x1 + l represent two different points in space where the flash of light is emitted and absorbed, respectively. These points may be in different locations, but the speed of light will remain constant between them. This highlights the concept of relativity and the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

4. How does the concept of relativity apply to the emission and absorption of a flash of light at different points on Earth?

The concept of relativity applies to the emission and absorption of a flash of light at different points on Earth in the same way it applies to any other situation. The speed of light will remain constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference, which includes the rotation and movement of the Earth. This means that the timing of the flash of light being emitted and absorbed at different points on Earth will be relative to the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can the emission and absorption of a flash of light at different points violate the laws of physics?

No, the emission and absorption of a flash of light at different points does not violate the laws of physics. This is because the speed of light is always constant and the timing of the flash is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of special relativity and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.