Special relativity and Lorentz factor problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ∆x' using the Lorentz's factor, taking into consideration the reference frame S' moving at v. The solution involves measuring the distance between the particles in S' by taking into account the relativity of simultaneity and the different t coordinates between S and S'.
RealKiller69

Homework Statement

There are 2 particles(1,2) separated ∆x=L moving with the same velocity u_x in frame of reference S , there's an other reference S' moving at v .
I have to calculate ∆x'. GAMMA(LORENTZ'S FACTOR)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done x1=0 when t=0
So for particle 1 x1=ut
Particle 2 x2=L+ut
So ∆x=L=gamma(∆x') , and it's not correct
The solution I have got from class is
X1=x0+ut1
X2=x0+L+ut2
So when I measure the distance between them in S' the solution is completely different, the thing I don't understand is , how t2=\t1 and not t2=t1.

Physics news on Phys.org
You measure ##\Delta x'## by measuring the difference in ##x'## at the same ##t'##, i.e., simultaneous events in ##S'##. Since the particles are separated, relativity of simultaneity comes into play and what is simultaneous in ##S'## is not simultaneous in ##S##, i.e., you will have different ##t## coordinates if you have the same ##t'## coordinate.

1. What is the concept of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it accounts for the effects of high speeds and gravity on the measurements of space and time. It also introduces the concept of relative simultaneity, where the order of events can appear different to different observers.

3. What is the Lorentz factor and how is it related to special relativity?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by the symbol γ, is a term used in special relativity to describe the dilation of time and contraction of length at high speeds. It is a ratio of the time measured by a moving observer to the time measured by a stationary observer, and it increases as the speed of the moving object approaches the speed of light.

4. How does the Lorentz factor affect the concept of time dilation?

The Lorentz factor plays a crucial role in the concept of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This effect is described by the equation t' = t/γ, where t' is the time measured by the moving object and t is the time measured by the stationary observer.

5. Can the Lorentz factor be applied to objects with mass?

Yes, the Lorentz factor can be applied to objects with mass. In fact, it is a fundamental component of Einstein's famous equation E=mc², where E is the energy of an object, m is its mass, and c is the speed of light. The Lorentz factor is also used in particle accelerators to calculate the relativistic mass of particles moving at high speeds.