Special relativity: flashes of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the location and timing of two flashes of light in two different frames of reference, A and A'. The Lorentz Transformation is used to calculate the location and timing of the flashes in frame A', with the flashes occurring at -1 x 10^9m and +2.67s for one flash and 1 x 10^9m and -2.67s for the other. However, it is important to note that the frames of reference do not know that they are moving, so the calculation of the timing for the flash occurring at 1 x 10^9m and -2.67s may not be entirely correct. Additionally, once the flash has occurred, the movement of the
whatisreality

Homework Statement

In a frame of reference A lights are on the x-axis at x = D and x = -D, where D = 0.6 x109. They flash simultaneously at t = 0.

There's also a frame of reference A' moving at v = 0.8c.

i) Where and when do the flashes happen in A'?

ii) Therefore when would observers at the origins of A and A' see the light?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Well, I have to add D to the location in x to find the location in x'. Then I have to add something else. But I'm pretty confused about what to add. As far as an observer in A' is concerned, I think the light has to travel x' = D + vt'? But I can't use that because I don't know t' or x', so that's probably wrong...
In A, both flashes happen at t = 0.6 x109 / 3x108 = 2 seconds. So I have t' as well:
t' = γt where γ is the Lorentz factor, so maybe I do have t' actually, I think it's 10/3.

Essentially, my question for the first part is whether x' = D + vt' is right.

And then the problem is that haven't I already worked out when the observer at A sees the light? It's at t =2. And for the observer at the origin of A', at t = 10/3?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the Lorentz Transformation tell you about where and when the flashes occur in A'?

Chet

Likes whatisreality
Chestermiller said:
What does the Lorentz Transformation tell you about where and when the flashes occur in A'?

Chet
Using x' = γ(x - vt) , t=0, x' = -1 x 109m for the bulb at -D, and 1 x 109 for the bulb at D.

And as to when they happen - that should be at two different times. Using t' = γ( t - ##\frac{vx}{c^2}##), and subbing in t = 0,
t' = -2.67 s for the bulb at +D, and 2.67 s for the bulb at -D. I think.

So if I'm in frame F', it looks like F is moving, doesn't it? And that means anything measured in F will appear shorter to me, and seem like it happened either later/ earlier, depending on the direction of movement?

And about the second part: I'm pretty sure the time at the origin of A is easy to calculate. It's just t = D/c and is the same for both bulbs.

As for at the origin of A', for the bulb at D: That person thinks the flash happened at t = 2.67, and that the light traveled for t = ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}##- 2.67 s, but I'm really not 100% sure about subtracting 2.67 seconds! Should I be adding instead? Or just doing nothing? Does that take account of the fact that F' is moving towards the bulb?

And for the bulb at -D: it travels for ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}## + ##\frac{x'}{v}## + 2.67? Maybe? Struggling to get my head round this.

whatisreality said:
Using x' = γ(x - vt) , t=0, x' = -1 x 109m for the bulb at -D, and 1 x 109 for the bulb at D.

And as to when they happen - that should be at two different times. Using t' = γ( t - ##\frac{vx}{c^2}##), and subbing in t = 0,
t' = -2.67 s for the bulb at +D, and 2.67 s for the bulb at -D. I think.

So if I'm in frame F', it looks like F is moving, doesn't it? And that means anything measured in F will appear shorter to me, and seem like it happened either later/ earlier, depending on the direction of movement?
Forget about the F frame of reference for now. In the F' frame of reference, the two flashes occur at -1 x 109m, + 2.67 s and 109, -2.67 s. Since they are traveling at the speed of light in F', at what value of t' do each of these flashes reach x' = 0?

Likes whatisreality
Chestermiller said:
Forget about the F frame of reference for now. In the F' frame of reference, the two flashes occur at -1 x 109m, + 2.67 s and 109, -2.67 s. Since they are traveling at the speed of light in F', at what value of t' do each of these flashes reach x' = 0?
t' = ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}- 2.67 ## for x' = D?

##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c} + 2.67 + \frac{x'}{v}## for x = -D. Possibly? Not sure I've got the adding/ subtracting of 2.67 the right way round. Or that I'm accounting for the movement of the frame correctly!

whatisreality said:
t' = ##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c}- 2.67 ## for x' = D?

##\frac{1 \times 10^9}{c} + 2.67 + \frac{x'}{v}## for x = -D. Possibly? Not sure I've got the adding/ subtracting of 2.67 the right way round. Or that I'm accounting for the movement of the frame correctly!
Your answer for -2.67 is correct. Since frame F' doesn't know that it is moving, your answer for +2.67 is not correct. Lost the x'/v.

Likes whatisreality
Chestermiller said:
Your answer for -2.67 is correct. Since frame F' doesn't know that it is moving, your answer for +2.67 is not correct. Lost the x'/v.
F' thinks the light bulb at -D is moving away from it though, doesn't it? At the v = 0.8c assigned to F' relative to F? Although by that logic I should also have subtracted x'/v for x' = D as well. That's seriously confusing.

Or is the -2.67 term accounting for the movement?

whatisreality said:
F' thinks the light bulb at -D is moving away from it though, doesn't it? At the v = 0.8c assigned to F' relative to F? Although by that logic I should also have subtracted x'/v for x' = D as well. That's seriously confusing.
Once the flash occurs at the indicated location and time, it doesn't matter what the light bulb does next. It is the light flash that is traveling toward x' =0 at the speed of light; the light bulb has nothing to do with this.

Likes whatisreality
Chestermiller said:
Once the flash occurs at the indicated location and time, it doesn't matter what the light bulb does next. It is the light flash that is traveling toward x' =0 at the speed of light; the light bulb has nothing to do with this.
Oh, I get it!

Thanks for wading through my messy first post and replying. I really appreciate it! :)

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities.

2. How does special relativity explain flashes of light?

Special relativity explains the behavior of flashes of light by showing that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same.

3. What is the significance of the equation E=mc² in special relativity?

This equation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, is a fundamental concept in special relativity. It shows that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable. It also explains the immense amount of energy that can be released through nuclear reactions.

4. Can special relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. These experiments have consistently shown that the predictions of special relativity hold true in the real world.

5. How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Although the effects of special relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, it has played a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the universe. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS systems, which rely on the precise timing of signals from satellites in accordance with the predictions of special relativity.