Special Relativity Problem from Rindler

In summary: So the problem is asking you to show that the plane in which the flash occurs is orthogonal to the x-axis (meaning the y and z coordinates must be 0). To do this, you need to show that dx=0, which can be done by manipulating the Lorentz equations.
Jason Williams

Homework Statement

In the inertial frame ##S'## the standard lattice clocks all emit a 'flash' at noon. Prove that in ##S##, this flash occurs on a plane orthogonal to the ##x##-axis and traveling in the positive ##x##-direction at speed ##\frac{c^2}{v}##.

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transformations: ##x' = \gamma(x-vt)## and ##t' = \gamma(t - \frac{vx}{c^2})##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The second part is relatively simple, set the flash to occur @ ##t' = 0## and then solve the corresponding Lorentz transformation equation to get ##\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{c^2}{v}##. The part I don't understand is show to show that it's orthogonal to the ##x##-axis. I know you want to end up showing that ##dx = 0##, I just can't manage to manipulate the Lorentz equations to get it in that form.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason Williams said:

Homework Statement

In the inertial frame ##S'## the standard lattice clocks all emit a 'flash' at noon. Prove that in ##S##, this flash occurs on a plane orthogonal to the ##x##-axis and traveling in the positive ##x##-direction at speed ##\frac{c^2}{v}##.

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transformations: ##x' = \gamma(x-vt)## and ##t' = \gamma(t - \frac{vx}{c^2})##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The second part is relatively simple, set the flash to occur @ ##t' = 0## and then solve the corresponding Lorentz transformation equation to get ##\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{c^2}{v}##. The part I don't understand is show to show that it's orthogonal to the ##x##-axis. I know you want to end up showing that ##dx = 0##, I just can't manage to manipulate the Lorentz equations to get it in that form.

I think you are looking at orthogonal the wrong way. It simply means a plane defined by the x-coordinate (where the y and z coordinates can be anything). Those are are the planes orthogonal to the x-axis.

Last edited:

1. What is the Special Relativity Problem from Rindler?

The Special Relativity Problem from Rindler is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Wolfgang Rindler to illustrate the concepts of special relativity. It involves two observers, one stationary and one in constant motion, observing a clock and a meter stick.

2. How does the Special Relativity Problem from Rindler demonstrate the principles of relativity?

The problem demonstrates the principles of relativity by showing how measurements of time and distance can differ between observers in relative motion. It also highlights the idea that there is no absolute frame of reference and that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. What is the significance of the clock and meter stick in the Special Relativity Problem from Rindler?

The clock and meter stick represent measurements of time and distance, which are both affected by the principles of relativity. The problem shows how these measurements can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and the relative motion between them.

4. How does the Special Relativity Problem from Rindler relate to the concept of time dilation?

The problem demonstrates time dilation, which is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This is due to the fact that time is relative and can be affected by the observer's frame of reference and relative motion.

5. Is the Special Relativity Problem from Rindler a real-life scenario or a theoretical concept?

The problem is a theoretical concept used to illustrate the principles of special relativity. While some aspects of the problem can be observed in real-life scenarios, the experiment itself is not possible to replicate in its entirety.