Special Relativity Problem (1.364, Irodov)

In summary, the problem involves a rod AB moving with a velocity v' along its y' axis in a reference frame K', which is also moving with a velocity V relative to another frame K. The goal is to find the angle between the rod and the x-axis in frame K. The Lorentz Transformation equations for x' and y' are given, but there is uncertainty about whether the rod can be tilted in frame K. The problem is from the book Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov, with a difficulty level of 1.364.
shanu_bhaiya

Homework Statement

The rod AB oriented parallel to the x' axis of the reference frame K' moves in this frame with a velocity v' along it's y' axis. In its turn, the frame K' moves with a velocity V relative to the frame K as shown in Figure. Find the angle (theta) between the rod and the x-axis in the frame K.

23rlhky.png

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transformation:
x' = (x-Vt)/(1-(V/c)2)1/2; y = y' (Doubtful in this case)
vx' = vx - V/(1-vxV/c2);
vy' = vy (1-(V/c)2)1/2/(1-vxV/c2).

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know that the rod AB in frame K should not be tilted at all, I mean it must remain horizontal if x and x' axis of K and K' frames coincide, or am I wrong? So, my only problem is that - "Is it possible for rod to be tilted in frame K?"

Physics news on Phys.org
In image, by fault there are two v' written for the velocity of rod, so don't be confused.

And on emore thing the problem is 1.364 from Problems in General Physics - I. E. Irodov.

1. What is the Special Relativity Problem in Irodov?

The Special Relativity Problem in Irodov refers to a specific problem in the book "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov, which covers various concepts and theories in physics, including special relativity.

2. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames.

3. What is the difference between Special Relativity and General Relativity?

Special Relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds and does not take into account the effects of gravity, while General Relativity includes the effects of gravity and describes the behavior of objects in non-uniform motion.

4. What is the significance of the "1.364" in the Special Relativity Problem in Irodov?

The "1.364" in the Special Relativity Problem in Irodov is a numerical value used in the problem to represent the speed of an object relative to the speed of light. It is a common value used in many special relativity problems and does not hold any special significance.

5. How can one solve the Special Relativity Problem in Irodov?

The Special Relativity Problem in Irodov can be solved by applying the concepts and equations of special relativity, such as time dilation, length contraction, and the Lorentz transformation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and use the appropriate equations to arrive at the correct solution.