Special relativity velocity tansforms

In summary, the K^{0} meson at rest decays into two \pi mesons, each with a speed of 0.85c. If the K0 meson is traveling at 0.9c when it decays, the maximum speed of one of the \pi mesons is 0.99c and the minimum speed is 0.21c. The formula used for these calculations is v_{x}=v_{x}^{'}+u/(1+u.v_{x}^{'}/c^{2}).
Vuldoraq
[SOLVED] Special relativity velocity tansforms

Homework Statement

A [tex]K^{0}[/tex] meson at rest decays into a [tex]\pi^{+}[/tex] meson and a [tex] \pi^{-}[/tex] meson, each having a speed of 0.85c.

If the K0 meson is traveling at 0.9c when it
decays, what is the greatest speed that one of the [tex]\pi[/tex] mesons can have?

What is the least speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]v_{x}=v_{x}^{'}+u/(1+u.v_{x}^{'}/c^{2})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit stuck when it comes to putting what values where. I think that to find the maximum speed the pions will be in the same direction as the meson, and to find the minimum speeds the pions will be moving in the opposite direction to meson. However I don't really know what speed to put where or if I'm even barking up the right tree.

Please could someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I've done some calculations please could someone tel me if they are right?

Letting [tex]v_{x}^{'}=0.85c[/tex] and [tex]u=0.9c[/tex] and applying the above formula
in its form gives,

[tex]v_{x}=0.99c[/tex] as the maximum velocity.

Then,

Letting [tex]v_{x}^{'}=-0.85c[/tex] [tex]u=0.9c[/tex] and applying the above formula
in its form gives,

[tex]v_{x}=0.21c[/tex] as the minimum velocity.

does this look reasonable?

right

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. What are velocity transforms in special relativity?

Velocity transforms are mathematical equations used to calculate the relative velocity between two objects in different reference frames. They take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur at high speeds as predicted by special relativity.

3. How do velocity transforms differ from classical Newtonian mechanics?

In classical Newtonian mechanics, velocities add up linearly, but in special relativity, they do not. The velocity transforms in special relativity include a term called the Lorentz factor, which accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations. For example, GPS systems on our phones and in our cars use the principles of special relativity to account for the differences in time between satellites and receivers on Earth.

5. Is special relativity still considered a valid theory?

Yes, special relativity is still considered a valid theory and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. It is one of the most well-established and fundamental theories in modern physics.