Mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons - Special Relativity

In summary: Basically, in the lab frame, the stick would be at rest, while in the rest frame of the mesons it would be moving. So the value of (iv) would be smaller than (ii)
lmstaples

Homework Statement

The proper mean lifetime of a [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] mesons is 26ns.
(a) (i) What is the mean lifetime of [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] mesons traveling with [itex] \beta=\frac{v}{c}=0.73[/itex]?

(ii) What distance is traveled at this velocity during one mean lifetime?

(iii) What distance would be traveled in the absence of time dilation?

(iv) How long would the laboratory-frame distance calculated in part (ii) appear to be in
the rest frame of the [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] meson?

(b) In the experiment of Alvager and co-workers in 1964, gamma ray photons from the decay
of neutral [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] mesons traveling at 0.99975c were found to travel at c in the samedirection as the [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] mesons.

What was the speed of the photons in the rest frame of the [itex]\pi^{+}[/itex] mesons?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) (i) Mean Lifetime = [itex]\frac{26}{\sqrt{1-(0.73)^{2}}}=38ns[/itex]

(ii) Distance traveled = [itex](0.73)*(2.9979*10^{^})*(38*10^{-9})=8.32m[/itex]

(iii) Distance traveled = [itex](0.73)*(2.9979*10^{^})*(26*10^{-9})=5.69m[/itex]

(iv) Not sure how to do that?

(b) Because of the postulates of Special Relativity, surely the speed of the photons is just c (speed of light) as light travels the same speed in all reference/inertial frames? Is it a trick question or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Imstaples.

Your work looks good, including (b). For (iv) did you learn about "length contraction"?

Yeah! I have done about length contraction and time dilation ect

OK, can you relate what you've learned about length contraction to question (iv)?

I thought about it: can I ask whether the value of (iv) would be bigger or smaller than (ii) as when I did work it out I got something around 12m

Unless I have the frames round the wrong way and its is infact equal to (iii)

Last edited:
Imagine a stick in the lab frame extending from where the mesons are created to where they decay after one mean lifetime.

In which frame is this stick at rest? In which frame is it moving? Your notes on length contraction should specify how the "rest length" compares to the "moving length". Or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_contraction

Ah I see where I was going wrong... I think haha

1. What is the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons?

The mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons is 2.6 x 10^-8 seconds. This means that on average, a pi(+) meson will decay after 2.6 x 10^-8 seconds.

2. How is the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons measured?

The mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons is measured using a particle accelerator and detectors. The accelerator produces a beam of pi(+) mesons, and the detectors record the number of mesons that decay over a certain period of time. The average decay time is then calculated to determine the mean lifetime.

3. How does special relativity affect the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons?

According to special relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed of an object. Pi(+) mesons are created at high speeds in particle accelerators, which causes time dilation and increases their mean lifetime as observed from a stationary frame of reference.

4. What other factors can affect the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons?

The mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons can also be affected by the environment in which they are created and detected. Interactions with other particles, such as protons and neutrons, can alter their decay rate. Additionally, the presence of strong magnetic fields can also affect the mean lifetime.

5. Why is studying the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons important?

The study of the mean lifetime of pi(+) mesons can provide important insights into the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. It can also help to validate and improve our understanding of special relativity and other theories in particle physics. Additionally, the decay of pi(+) mesons is a crucial process in the formation of matter and the stability of atoms.