Special Theory of Relativity question

In summary, the problem involves finding the location of a clock moving at a velocity u = 3c/5 in a frame of reference, when it ticks 1 second in its own frame. The solution involves using the Lorentz transformation equation for x to calculate the location, and then manipulating the equation for t' to find the time t when light from the clock reaches the origin in the frame. The final answer is t^* = 2.
Government$

Homework Statement

A clock moving at velocity u = 3c/5 passes me, sitting at my origin, at t = t' = 0 according to it and my clock. What is its location in my frame when it ticks 1 second in its frame? If it emits alight pulse at that time, at what time t^* according to me will that pulse reach my origin? Use (x, t) for me and (x', t') for clock frame.
I took this form Yale Open Course

Homework Equations

Special Relativity equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will try to divided this problem into two parts: First one is - what is its location
in my frame when it ticks 1 second in its frame?
and second one - If it emits alight pulse at that time, at what time t^∗ according to me will that pulse reach my origin?.

So for the first one i have x=? and that t'=1. I use the lorentz transformation for x point.
x=(x' + ut')/SQRT(1-(u^2)/(c^2)). I am not sure that i can use this formula for this purpose
but if i assume that x' is 0 i get x= ut'/SQRT(1-(u^2)/(c^2)) = 2.25 * 10^8 m
Then i need to find t when light hits my origin ie t^* = t + t'' where t'' is time light takes to travel to my origin in my frame. Perhaps i can get t buy manipulating lornetz equation for t'. Since i have t' and x i can figure out t. t' = (t - (ux/c^2))/SQRT(1-(u^2)/(c^2)) ==>
1 = (t - (ux/c^2))/0.8 ==> 0.8 + 0.45 = t = 1.25. So then i need to find t''. I have no idea to how to find t'' unless to plug int into standard v=s/t formula. If that's the case then c=x/t ==>
t= 0.75 where x is 2.25 * 10^8 m which i found in first part of the problem. So t^* is 2.

I have a feeling that i made a mistake somewhere, possibly at the beginning of the problem where i assumed that x= ut'/SQRT(1-(u^2)/(c^2)) and i am not sure if that's quite right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How is the Special Theory of Relativity different from the General Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity specifically deals with objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, while the General Theory of Relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and acceleration on space and time.

3. What are the key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity are the principles of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light. The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. How does the Special Theory of Relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

The Special Theory of Relativity explains time dilation as the difference in the perception of time between two observers who are moving at different speeds. As an object's speed increases, time for that object appears to slow down for an outside observer, and vice versa.

5. Can the Special Theory of Relativity be proven?

The Special Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to potential revisions or refinements as new evidence and technology become available.