Special theory of relativity, theoretical problem

In summary: Yes, that's the proper time of the capsule, which is also the spacetime distance between the events of the capsule being sent and received. Coordinate time would be the time that an observer would measure if they were not involved in the experiment.
Kennedy

Homework Statement

Spaceship A, traveling past us at 0.7c, sends a message capsule to spaceship B, which is in front of A and is traveling in the same direction as A at 0.8c relative to us. The capsule travels at 0.9c relative to us. A clock that measures the proper time between the sending and receiving of the capsule travels: a) in the same direction as the spaceships at 0.7c relative to us b) in the opposite direction from the spaceships at 0.7c relative to us c) in the same direction as the spaceships at 0.8c relative to us d) in the same direction as the spaceships at 0.9c relative to us e) in the opposite direction from the spaceships at 0.9c relative to us

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

There's not much math involved in solving this problem, and it's all theoretical, but I think I'm missing a lot of something here. I don't even know where to begin when thinking about this question. Would the correct time simply be measured by the one that is moving at the exact same speed and direction as the capsule, but why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kennedy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

There's not much math involved in solving this problem, and it's all theoretical, but I think I'm missing a lot of something here. I don't even know where to begin when thinking about this question. Would the correct time simply be measured by the one that is moving at the exact same speed and direction as the capsule, but why?

The key word in the question is "proper" time. What do you know about proper time?

PeroK said:
The key word in the question is "proper" time. What do you know about proper time?
Honestly, I don't know anything. I don't understand if it means proper time as in measured by us... I just don't understand. Is proper time measured by a clock that is said to be at rest with respect to the object?

Kennedy said:
Honestly, I don't know anything. I don't understand if it means proper time as in measured by us... I just don't understand. Is proper time measured by a clock that is said to be at rest with respect to the object?

Yes, that's the proper time of the capsule, which is also the spacetime distance between the events of the capsule being sent and received.

Likes Kennedy
Kennedy said:
I don't understand if it means proper time as in measured by us...

If an observer is involved their proper time would be called "coordinate" time as far as the experiment is concerned. "Proper" time would be the time of a particle or object involved in the experiment. That's the conventional terminology.

Likes Kennedy

1. What is the special theory of relativity?

The special theory of relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the motion of objects. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. What is the difference between special theory of relativity and general theory of relativity?

The special theory of relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while the general theory of relativity expands upon this to include non-inertial frames of reference and the effects of gravity on space and time. The general theory of relativity is a more comprehensive and complex theory, while the special theory of relativity is a simplified version.

3. What is the theoretical problem in the special theory of relativity?

The theoretical problem in the special theory of relativity is the discrepancy between the principles of relativity (laws of physics are the same for all observers) and the constant speed of light. This led to the need for the general theory of relativity, which explains the effects of gravity and non-inertial frames of reference.

4. How does the special theory of relativity relate to time dilation and length contraction?

The special theory of relativity predicts that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass slower and lengths can appear to be shorter for an observer in motion compared to an observer at rest. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and length contraction, and it has been proven through experiments and observations.

5. What are some practical applications of the special theory of relativity?

The special theory of relativity has numerous practical applications, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. GPS satellites use the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and location, while nuclear energy relies on Einstein's famous equation E=mc². Particle accelerators use the principles of relativity to accelerate particles to high speeds for scientific research and medical treatments.