Specific Heat Capacity of Ice, Help

Which is why I think this is mostly right.Well, I'm not sure what to do anymore. I've tried working it out the way you guys have said and I'm still getting a value of around 1600. I must be doing something wrong in the rearrangement, but I don't know what it could be.In summary, based on the given data, the specific heat capacity of ice is calculated to be approximately 2194 J/kgK. This was determined by setting the heat transfer equation equal to zero, taking into account the heat transfer between the ice, water, and copper calorimeter.
Prototype07

Homework Statement

The following data is obtained:
Weight of ice cube added 20 g
Weight of copper calorimeter 80.5 g
Weight of water in calorimeter 105 g
Initial temp of ice cube -18 deg C
Initial temp of water 23 deg C
Final temp of water 6 deg C
Specific Heat Capacity copper 385 J kg-1K-1
Specific Heat Capacity water 4185 J kg-1K-1
Specific Latent Heat Fusion of Ice 335 kJ kg-1

Calculate a value for the Specific Heat Capacity of ice in J kg-1K-1.

Homework Equations

Q= Mass x Specific Heat Capacity x change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried countless attempts and literally spent hours trying to work this out, all have pointed to dead ends and I really don't know what else to try...
20g = 0.02kg
335kJ = 335000 J
105g = 0.105kg

(0.02kg x 335000J kg-1) + (0.02kg x c) x (6 - -18) = (0.105kg x 4185J kg-1K-1) x (23 - 6)
6700 + (0.02 x c) x 24 = 439.425 x 17
6700 + (0.02 x c) x 24 = 7470.225
0.02 x c x 24 = 770.225
c = 770.225 / (0.02 x 24)
c = 1604.635 J kg-1K-1

Now, I need to work out the SHC of ice which, pre-calculations, we should know it as being around 2000-2100, right? So surely that should mean 1604 is incorrect?
I've really got no idea what to do anymore, should I have included the SHC of copper and the mass of the calorimeter into the equation somewhere too?
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider that your system doesn't exchange heat with the universe, or in other words [tex]\delta Q_{U}=0[/tex], so all you have to do now is consider every component in the system that exchanges heat inside the system.

In a general form it would be something like this:

[tex]\delta Q_U=\delta Q_{Water}+\delta Q_{Ice} + \delta Q_{Copper}=0[/tex]

Remember the system is in thermal equilibrium in the final stage, so you can solve it for the variable you need.

Hope this helps.

Note: [tex]\delta Q = Q[/tex].

Right, I -think- I made some progress
Assuming the specific heat capacity of copper is calculated to be 536.87
Q=m x c x delta t
therefore: Q = 0.0805 x 385 x 17
Q = 526.87

Would it then make sense to add this value to the current value of 1604.635
resulting in 2131.505?
This would seem to then confirm the assumed value of 2100..?

Well what I tried with this problem is:

Q_ice = -(Q_water + Q_copper)

Assuming that the copper changes temperature in the same way as the water inside of it, which is a fairly reasonably assumption or the temperatures wouldn't settle in the ways stated, this gives the heat transfer equation as

(m_ice x dT_ice x C_ice) + ( L_ice x m_ice) + (m_ice x C_water x dT'_ice) = -[(m_water x C_water x dT_water) + (m_copper x C_copper x dT_copper)]

Plugging in the numbers and rearranging gives me a value of C_ice at 2194 J/kgK.

P.S. Sorry for the screwy notation. Underscores indicate subscript, d is delta (or change in), m is mass, T is temperature, C is specific heat capacity, L is latent heat of fusion

EDIT: I forgot to mention, dT_ice is 18 degrees because it goes from -18 to 0 to melt, and dT'_ice is 6 because it then goes from 0 to 6 degrees before reaching equilibrium.

Last edited:

Related to Specific Heat Capacity of Ice, Help

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat capacity of ice measured?

The specific heat capacity of ice is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat absorbed or released during a chemical or physical process.

3. What is the specific heat capacity of ice?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C).

4. How does the specific heat capacity of ice compare to other substances?

The specific heat capacity of ice is relatively low compared to other substances, such as water and metals. This means that it takes less energy to raise the temperature of ice compared to these other substances.

5. Why is the specific heat capacity of ice important?

The specific heat capacity of ice is important because it plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and weather patterns. The high specific heat capacity of water (including ice) allows it to absorb and store large amounts of heat, which helps regulate the Earth's temperature and climate.