Specific Heat Capacity Problem

In summary: And, declan.B, your solution above is incomplete, because it doesn't take into account that the temperature of the iron will fall to the final temperature also. So the energy balance equation is:Q(iron) + Q(water) = Q(ice) + Q(water)where:Q(iron) is the energy lost by the iron (MCΔT)Q(water) is the energy lost by the water (MCΔT)Q(ice) is the energy gained by the ice (mLf + MCΔT)Q(water) is the energy gained by the water (MCΔT)Note that you have two unknowns: the temperature of the iron, and the final
declan.B

Homework Statement

A 30.0g block of ice at 0.00°C is dropped into 500.0g of water at 45.0°C. If the process was carried out in an iron container with a mass of 150g what would the final temperature be?

Homework Equations

Q=mc(T2-T1)
Heat Lost = Heat Gained
Specific Heat of Water: 4200
Specific Heat of Ice: 2100
Specific Heat of Iron: 460

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to find the final temperature of the water without the iron container using the equation above (mc(T2-T1)=mc(T2-T1)) and i get (34.5 degrees), however I'm completely stuck when it comes to adding the iron mass into the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
declan.B said:

Homework Statement

A 30.0g block of ice at 0.00°C is dropped into 500.0g of water at 45.0°C. If the process was carried out in an iron container with a mass of 150g what would the final temperature be?

Homework Equations

Q=mc(T2-T1)
Heat Lost = Heat Gained
Specific Heat of Water: 4200
Specific Heat of Ice: 2100
Specific Heat of Iron: 460

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to find the final temperature of the water without the iron container using the equation above (mc(T2-T1)=mc(T2-T1)) and i get (34.5 degrees), however I'm completely stuck when it comes to adding the iron mass into the equation.
Hi declan.B. Welcome to Physics Forums!

Have you learned that you are supposed to take into account the latent heat of melting the ice also? Are you supposed to assume that the starting temperature of the pot is 45C?
Let the final temperature be T. In terms of T, how much heat do you have to add to the ice to melt it and raise its temperature to T? How much heat has to be removed from the original water in the pot and from the pot itself to cool them down from 45C to temperature T? Set these amounts of heat equal, and solve for T.

Chet

Yes sorry assuming the iron mass is also at 45 degrees initial temperature.

I haven't found any similar questions so I'm very confused. If i was to add in the latent heat wouldn't i then need the quantity of heat which i haven't been given??

Q= mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)

and how would the iron mass fit into this equation ?

Last edited:
declan.B said:

I haven't found any similar questions so I'm very confused. If i was to add in the latent heat wouldn't i then need the quantity of heat which i haven't been given??

Q= mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)

and how would the iron mass fit into this equation ?

The iron also cools down, and adds some heat to the ice. The ice needs heat to melt at 0°C, and then the "icewater" needs heat to warm up from zero degree to t(final).

Meanwhile, both the water and the container cools down from 45 °C to the final temperature, releasing heat.

Write up the equations for the heat is released both by the water and by the container.

declan.B said:

Oh gee. I guess you'll just have to look it up (in your textbook or online).

And always write out the units for the quantities in your calculations.

Chestermiller do you not think i have spent hours upon hours researching this. My textbook has no similar question when adding a variable like that so I have not been taught, and i cannot find it anywhere on google which is why i signed up on this forum. If you can find something teaching it please share otherwise leave your smartass comments somewhere else.

I'm not the best at deriving equations but basically what I have gathered is what you could do is two separate equations. One to see how much heat the iron mass loses and one to see how much the water loses and then the answer is the difference? e.g.

IRON: Q=mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)
WATER: Q=mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)

declan.B said:
Chestermiller do you not think i have spent hours upon hours researching this. My textbook has no similar question when adding a variable like that so I have not been taught, and i cannot find it anywhere on google which is why i signed up on this forum. If you can find something teaching it please share otherwise leave your smartass comments somewhere else.

I'm not the best at deriving equations but basically what I have gathered is what you could do is two separate equations. One to see how much heat the iron mass loses and one to see how much the water loses and then the answer is the difference? e.g.

IRON: Q=mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)
WATER: Q=mc(t2-t1) + mLf + mc(t2-t1)
Dear declan.B,
Please accept my apology. I resolve to avoid making sarcastic comments again in any Physics Forums. There is no place for that.

I looked up the heat of fusion of ice to water on Google: 80 calories/gram = 334 kJ/kg.
If T is the final temperature, then, for the part of the water that was originally ice, the amount of heat required to bring it up to the final temperature is:

30(334)+30(4.2)(T-0) Joules

The amount of heat that must be removed from the 150 gm iron container and the original 500 gm of water to bring their temperature from 45C to the final temperature T is:

(150)(0.46)(45 - T) + (500)(4.2)(45-T) Joules

The two amounts of heat must match each other.

Note that the data provided in the problem statement regarding the heat capacity of ice is irrelevant to the solution to this problem, and was included just to distract you. You now need to solve for the temperature T.

Chet

Last edited:
Chet: check the units.

ehild

ehild said:
Chet: check the units.

ehild
Ooops. Thanks ehild. I went back and edited in the corrections. Thanks again.

Chet

So I'm assuming you can solve both equations simultaneously as they both equal one another?

declan.B said:
So I'm assuming you can solve both equations simultaneously as they both equal one another?
Yes.

Chet

Got it. Thanks for the help :)

declan.B said:
Got it. Thanks for the help :)
You're welcome. Sorry again for my poor manners earlier.

Chet

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different materials respond to changes in temperature. It also helps us predict how much heat energy will be needed to raise or lower the temperature of a substance.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting experiments where the amount of heat energy transferred to a substance is measured and compared to the change in temperature of the substance. The formula for specific heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors affect specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and molecular structure. Substances with larger masses and more complex molecular structures tend to have higher specific heat capacities, while substances with smaller masses and simpler molecular structures tend to have lower specific heat capacities.

How is specific heat capacity used in real life?

Specific heat capacity is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes. It is also used in scientific research and experiments to study the properties of different materials.