Specific weight and volume question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving tanks filled with water and a specific weight of 9.45 kN/m^3. The question asks for the plot of added weight due to the liquid for a given range of tank sizes. The student is unsure of how to calculate the added weight and asks if they should simply add the different volumes to the specific weight. However, this approach does not seem to make sense and more information is needed.
dfcitykid

Homework Statement

So I have a problem/question were tanks are filled with water and its specific weight is 9.45 kN/m^3. They also give you a range of volumes of different tanks. The problem then asks for the plot of added weight (kN) due to the liquid for the given range of the different tank sizes (diameter). My question is how do you get the added weight; do I just add the different volumes to the specific weight. Thanks for the help.

Homework Equations

no equations given

The Attempt at a Solution

Adding the different volumes to the specific weight

Physics news on Phys.org
Adding a volume to a specific weight ? How would the units work out on that?

dfcitykid said:

Homework Statement

So I have a problem/question were tanks are filled with water and its specific weight is 9.45 kN/m^3. They also give you a range of volumes of different tanks. The problem then asks for the plot of added weight (kN) due to the liquid for the given range of the different tank sizes (diameter). My question is how do you get the added weight; do I just add the different volumes to the specific weight. Thanks for the help.

Homework Equations

no equations given

The Attempt at a Solution

Adding the different volumes to the specific weight
This question as paraphrased doesn't make a lot of sense.

Can you post the exact wording of the question, including any data or figures included in the problem statement?

What is specific weight?

Specific weight is a measure of the weight per unit volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of force per unit volume, such as pounds per cubic foot or newtons per cubic meter.

How is specific weight different from density?

While specific weight and density are both measures of a substance's mass per unit volume, they differ in the units used. Density is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as kilograms per cubic meter, while specific weight is expressed in units of force per unit volume.

What factors affect the specific weight of a substance?

The specific weight of a substance is affected by its density and the force acting on it. For example, increasing the density of a substance will also increase its specific weight. Additionally, changes in the gravitational force acting on the substance will also impact its specific weight.

How is specific weight measured?

Specific weight can be measured using various instruments, such as a hydrometer or a densitometer. These instruments typically work by measuring the buoyancy of the substance and calculating its specific weight based on its density and the force of gravity.

What are some real-world applications of specific weight?

Specific weight is a useful concept in various industries, such as construction and engineering. It is used to calculate the weight of materials and structures, and to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them. Specific weight is also important in fields such as aerodynamics, where it is used to determine the lift and drag forces on objects in motion.