Spectral Classification Syntax for Binaries

In summary, the conversation discusses the spectral type of α Cnc, which is listed as kA7VmF0/2III/IVSr on the SIMBAD database. The use of "/" in the classification is meant to separate the spectral class of the components, with the rightmost class being the one that is bound. The conversation also mentions a paper that provides a detailed explanation of the spectral classification for this star.
Solkar
for α Cnc one gets from

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=alpha+cancri

a spectral type of
kA7VmF0/2III/IVSr

I don't get behind this special use of "/" - Syntax - what's that that meant to denote?

kA7Vm+F02III xor kA7Vm+F02IVSr?
Anything else?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the / is intended to separate the spectral class of the components but this one looks strange. If you look up the star here http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=B/mk you will see a range of classifications.
You can follow the links to the papers the last reference has it as Am (A5/A9/F0) in the body of the paper.
I tried to follow the link to your clasification but you had to pay for access.
Regards Andrew

andrew s 1905 said:
I think the / is intended to separate the spectral class of the components but this one looks strange.

Yes, of course. It's generally used both for separating alternative subclasses and luminosities - "alternative" here as opposed to "between" (that would be "-").

Here however it's unclear, especially because the "A" and" "F" classification are given en suite without such any seperator.

But talking about it - maybe the tail means

one of (F0III, F2III, F0IVSr, F2IVSr)

?

What however combining "A" and "F" without a separator shall denote ... well...

I think your only option is to look up the reference if you want to clarify the meaning.
Regards Andrew

andrew s 1905 said:
I think your only option is to look up the reference if you want to clarify the meaning.

Yep, So more precisely, I think the only option for me is to an accessible version of the doc ...

And indeed! There indeed is one:

[RA91] Rao, S. S. & Abhyankar, K. MK morphological study of Am stars at 66 Å/mm. Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy, Springer, 1991, 12, 133-178. doi:10.1.1.489.5030 http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.489.5030&rep=rep1&type=pdf

So by [RA91] Table. 3, Simbad's encoding

"kA7VmF0/2III/IVSr" means:

K line: A7 V
m (i.e m 39) line: F0 III
m (i.e. m 43) line: F2 III/IV

and Sr line present.

So the "/" operator binds and only binds to the rightmost class ("F") or subclass ("0", "2") token to its left.

And it's nothing about "Binaries".

Last edited:
Likes andrew s 1905
kA7VmF0/2III/IV Sr

I am not an astronomer. Would like a better answer.

k Spectra with interstellar absorption features
A7 Main sequence star spectral class A7
V luminosity class five

m Enhanced metal feature
F0/2 spectral classes F0 and F2
III/IV luminosity class III/IV
Sr Strontium

This could mean the strontium emission line has a signal strength equivalent to a star with luminosity class III/IV. Emission line spectra contain more than one peak so you could measure more than one spectral class. Would look purple than an A7 should look.

stefan r said:
Would like a better answer.

Then I would propose you read the paper Solkar gave the link to.

Regards Andrew

andrew s 1905 said:
Then I would propose you read the paper Solkar gave the link to.

Regards Andrew
I did that before commenting.

What is spectral classification syntax for binaries?

Spectral classification syntax for binaries is a system used by astronomers to categorize and describe binary stars based on their spectral characteristics. It involves assigning a letter code to indicate the type of star, followed by a numerical value to indicate its luminosity or temperature.

How is spectral classification syntax for binaries different from single stars?

Spectral classification syntax for binaries is different from single stars because it takes into account the combined spectral features of both stars in a binary system. This can provide additional information about the stars' masses, sizes, and orbital characteristics.

What are the different types of spectral classes for binary stars?

There are several spectral classes for binary stars, including A, B, F, G, K, and M. These letters correspond to the temperature of the stars, with A being the hottest and M being the coolest. Within each class, numbers are used to further subdivide the stars based on their luminosity or temperature.

How is spectral classification syntax for binaries useful for studying binary systems?

Spectral classification syntax for binaries is useful for studying binary systems because it allows astronomers to identify and categorize different types of binary stars. This information can then be used to better understand the formation, evolution, and dynamics of binary systems.

Can spectral classification syntax for binaries be used for all types of binary systems?

Yes, spectral classification syntax for binaries can be used for all types of binary systems, including visual binaries (where the two stars can be seen separately), spectroscopic binaries (where the two stars cannot be seen separately but their spectra can be analyzed), and eclipsing binaries (where one star periodically passes in front of the other, causing a decrease in observed brightness).