Spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor

In summary, spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor is a technique that uses specialized equipment to analyze the vibration frequencies and amplitudes of an unbalanced rotating rotor. It is important because it can prevent failures, improve performance, and provide valuable information about the rotor's condition. The analysis is performed by measuring and analyzing the rotor's vibration data, which can help identify any unbalanced conditions. Common causes of an unbalanced rotor include uneven mass distribution, wear or damage, and changes in operating conditions. This type of analysis can also be used in predictive maintenance to monitor the rotor's condition and schedule maintenance before potential failures occur.
Tung Jian Seng
Homework Statement
Hi guys, I have done a lab experiment about unbalanced rotating rotor.
In the first part of the experiment, the rotor was run in a balanced condition at different frequencies (40, 50 and 60 Hz). The spectrum of acceleration vs frequency for each frequency was recorded.
In the second part of the experiment, the rotor was run in unbalanced condition where screws are added on the rotor as the unbalanced mass. The results are recorded in 3 different frequencies (40, 50 and 60 Hz)

For the balanced case, I can observe that the acceleration decreases with the increasing frequency but I can't find the reason why does this happens?

For the unbalanced case, I can see that the acceleration increases with the increasing frequency. I would like to ask what does the increasing acceleration indicates?
And why do people choose to analyze the acceleration spectrum instead of velocity and displacement?
How does the acceleration can be related to vibration analysis?

These are my douts on this experiment. It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me out with this.

Thank you in advance.
Relevant Equations
-
1646408577542.png

Spectrum of acceleration vs frequency
1646408742044.png

1646408769573.png
Results of balanced condition
1646408644888.png

Results of unbalanced condition
1646408677527.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the shaft is driven by a 4 pole induction motor, which explains the rate of rotation, the fundamental frequency, and the small slip.

How many and how are the unbalance screws arranged in the disk?
What is meant by 2, 4 or 6 screws, in what geometric positions ?

What is spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor?

Spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor is a technique used to analyze the vibrations of a rotor that is not balanced. It involves measuring and analyzing the frequency spectrum of the vibrations to identify the cause of the imbalance.

Why is spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor important?

Unbalanced rotating rotors can cause excessive vibrations, which can lead to equipment damage, reduced efficiency, and safety hazards. Spectrum analysis helps identify the source of the imbalance, allowing for corrective measures to be taken.

How is spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor performed?

Spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor involves using specialized equipment, such as accelerometers and vibration analyzers, to measure the vibrations of the rotor at different frequencies. The data is then analyzed to identify the specific frequencies associated with the imbalance.

What are the common causes of unbalanced rotating rotor?

Unbalanced rotating rotors can be caused by various factors, such as manufacturing defects, wear and tear, misalignment, and changes in the operating conditions. It can also be a result of improper installation or maintenance.

What are the benefits of spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor?

Spectrum analysis of unbalanced rotating rotor can help prevent equipment failure, reduce downtime, and improve overall efficiency. It also allows for early detection and correction of potential issues, saving time and money in the long run.