Spectrum classification and dimension reduction

In summary: Feature selection is an important step in reducing the dimensionality of the data. It is used to determine which features are important for the classification and which can be eliminated. It is also important to note that the selection of features does not always lead to a reduction of the dimensionality of the data. There are several factors that affect the choice of features and the resulting dimensionality of the data. The goal of dimensionality reduction is to reduce the number of features so that the data is more manageable and can be better understood. There are several methods that can be used to reduce the number of features. Some of the common methods are feature selection, feature projection, and dimensionality reduction techniques.
roam
I am trying to distinguish two different plant species based on their chemical signature using statistical signal classification. This is what the average curves of two species look like with their standard deviation bounds:

ket3fkq.png

These spectra are made up of ~1400 points. So it was suggested to me to use a dimension reduction technique, instead of using a ~1400-dimensional vector space.

So, what are the problem that could occur if the multidimensional data space is large?

Also, if we were to classify based on only a few points (and throw away the rest) — would that not increase the likelihood of misclassification errors? Because we have fewer features to consider. I presume dimension reduction works differently because we are not throwing away any data.

Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ket3fkq.png
    ket3fkq.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 855
Physics news on Phys.org
Broadly speaking high dimensional data can be problematic for two main reasons. First, the computational cost to learn and inference may be high and secondly it can lead to over-fitting. Dimensional reduction attempts to resolve these two issues while still preserving most of the relevant information (--based on assumptions in the technique).

There's a few ways you can get a reduced space. You can apply feature selection as you would in a linear regression type model. There you can use your common forward/backward selection process or some variant of chi-squared score or whatever metric you want to use for importance and use the to determine the top K features. You can also do a more matrix factorization technique like Trunciated SVD or PCA (of which SVD is a generalization) to common features into lower lower dimensions. This is commonly done in text processing as a way to mitigate similar words (ie bird vs birds). There's also feature projection, where you can use random projects or tree embeddings to project your higher features into a lower dimensional representation.

Whatever you choose to do (based on the data you have), the key idea is the same. You're trying to eliminate features that may have been encoded in other features implicitily or explicitly and return a space that is more general that may lead to be generalization on a validation and test set. Each technique uses different assumptions and it's up to you to decide what works best for your goals and data.

In my personal work life, I commonly take 100k-200k feature matrix down to 400 features. While accuracy metrics may drop on my training set, there tends to be a notable ability to perform consistently well on unseen data, which is reality is what you really care about.

Likes roam
Thank you for your explanations.

Could you explain what you mean by saying that it could lead to over-fitting?

Also, when we are dealing with spectra (as in my problem), what sort of features could get eliminated?

I believe the regions where there is a complete overlap between the two clusters are useless for classification. For instance, in my graph, this would be the 750–900 nm range (the NIR plateau). Would techniques such as PCA automatically exclude these regions?

In these overlapping intervals, we cannot use the Euclidean distance between the two pattern sets to classify signals (this is apparently the simplest and most intuitive way to classify).

1. What is spectrum classification?

Spectrum classification is the process of categorizing data or signals based on their frequency content. This can be done using various techniques such as Fourier analysis, wavelet analysis, or machine learning algorithms.

2. Why is dimension reduction important in spectrum classification?

Dimension reduction is important in spectrum classification because it helps to reduce the complexity and improve the efficiency of the analysis. By reducing the number of variables, it becomes easier to identify patterns and relationships in the data, which can lead to more accurate classification results.

3. What are some common techniques used for dimension reduction in spectrum classification?

Some common techniques used for dimension reduction in spectrum classification include principal component analysis (PCA), linear discriminant analysis (LDA), and independent component analysis (ICA). These techniques aim to reduce the dimensionality of the data while preserving as much relevant information as possible.

4. How can spectrum classification and dimension reduction be applied in real-world scenarios?

Spectrum classification and dimension reduction have a wide range of applications, including signal processing, image and video analysis, bioinformatics, and finance. For example, in signal processing, dimension reduction techniques can be used to extract useful information from noisy signals, while in finance, they can be used to identify patterns in stock market data.

5. What are some challenges in spectrum classification and dimension reduction?

Some challenges in spectrum classification and dimension reduction include selecting the appropriate technique for a given dataset, dealing with high-dimensional data, and avoiding overfitting. Additionally, it can be difficult to interpret the results of dimension reduction, and the process may require significant computational resources.