Speed at the top of the loop with energy loss from friction

In summary: Energy is in Joules, not meters.In summary, the car will be going 22.5 m/s at the top of the loop if no friction is present.
miyayeah

Homework Statement

If the car is going 30 m/s half way up the loop and loses energy due to friction at a rate of 2.0J per meter of track, how fast will it be going at the top?

(this is question related to the loop of roller coaster track, with radius 20m.)

Homework Equations

1. Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
2. Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf + energy lost by friction

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the final velocity (22.5m/s) using the first equation in the list above. I need to find Δx, so I thought of using Δx = v⋅t + ½at2, but I am not sure if the acceleration here would be -9.8m/s2. How would you find the acceleration in this case?

If I know the acceleration I believe I will be able to find time and Δx taken for the roller coaster to go from half way point to the top point, and then I can figure out how much J of energy is lost by friction and use equation 2 to find the final velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the energy lost to friction, so you need to work out how to use that, in conjunction with your other energy calculations.

PeroK said:
You are given the energy lost to friction, so you need to work out how to use that, in conjunction with your other energy calculations.
The second equation shows that, but what I did was (before using the second equation) I tried to find the curved distance of the path from the middle point to the top point because the question indicates "2.0J per meter of track". By finding the distance traveled I can multiply that by 2.0J to get the total energy lost due to friction. Also I found 22.5m/s (the final speed if no friction was present) because the number 22.5m/s can still be applied to find the distance traveled by the roller coaster... if that makes sense/if that's correct?

miyayeah said:
The second equation shows that, but what I did was (before using the second equation) I tried to find the curved distance of the path from the middle point to the top point because the question indicates "2.0J per meter of track". By finding the distance traveled I can multiply that by 2.0J to get the total energy lost due to friction. Also I found 22.5m/s (the final speed if no friction was present) because the number 22.5m/s can still be applied to find the distance traveled by the roller coaster... if that makes sense/if that's correct?

You need to be careful talking about "displacement" when friction is involved.

Hint: How far does the car travel in one complete loop?

PeroK said:
You need to be careful talking about "displacement" when friction is involved.

Hint: How far does the car travel in one complete loop?
How far the car travel would be the circumference, so :
C=2πr = 2⋅π⋅20 = 125.66 (approximately)

miyayeah said:
How far the car travel would be the circumference, so :
C=2πr = 2⋅π⋅20 = 125.66 (approximately)
And how much energy does it lose to friction in this case?

PeroK said:
And how much energy does it lose to friction in this case?
I am not sure, would the distance from the half point to the top simply be 125.66/4? If that is right, then
energy lost = 62.83 (approximately) ?

miyayeah said:
I am not sure, would the distance from the half point to the top simply be 125.66/4? If that is right, then
energy lost = 62.83 (approximately) ?

You need to get into the habits of stating units. That must be what the question intends.

What is the relationship between speed and energy loss at the top of a loop?

As an object moves through a loop, it experiences a loss of energy due to friction. This results in a decrease in speed at the top of the loop, as the object needs to use more energy to overcome the friction and continue moving forward.

How does the angle of the loop affect the speed at the top?

The angle of the loop can greatly impact the speed at the top. A steeper angle will result in a larger loss of energy due to friction, and therefore a slower speed at the top. A shallower angle will result in a smaller loss of energy and a higher speed at the top.

Can the speed at the top of a loop ever be higher than the initial speed?

In most cases, no. The energy loss from friction will always result in a decrease in speed at the top of a loop. However, if there are other external forces acting on the object, such as a boost from a propulsion system, it is possible for the speed at the top to be higher than the initial speed.

How does the mass of the object affect the speed at the top of the loop?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the speed at the top of the loop. However, a heavier object will have more inertia and therefore may be able to maintain a higher speed despite the energy loss from friction. On the other hand, a lighter object may experience a greater decrease in speed at the top of the loop.

Can friction be completely eliminated to maintain a constant speed at the top of a loop?

No, friction is a natural force that cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or lubrication. Additionally, the design of the loop can be optimized to minimize the effects of friction on the speed at the top.