Speed controller with a heating element?

In summary, the popcorn popper is used to roast coffee beans. The goal is to be able to vary the heat of the heating element to maintain consistent speed. The cheapies will not handle the power needed, so a more expensive controller may be needed. The controller can be a router speed controller or a thermal interruptor.
tomar68
I use a popcorn popper to roast coffee beans. I'd like to be able to vary the heat of the heating element (as inexpensively as possible). My thought is to connect into the internal wiring of the popper to the heating element and run a wire out to connect to some type of external controller. MLCS has a router speed controller that I'm considering; my hesitancy is that this controller uses feedback from the controlled "router" to vary the voltage to the load to maintain consistent speed.

Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe a lamp dimmer? The cheapies will handle 600 watts.

Thanks Jim, but I need at least 1200 watts, possibly 1400 at some point. I saw an entry in another thread about using a electric stove heating element control switch. I might give that a try depending on other replys I may get here.

Time was when you could buy just what you need in the form of a plug-in Drill Speed Controller. Nowadays, they seem to be included inside devices. I need the same thing for reducing the speed on my angle grinder so that I can use it as a small diameter, slow speed polisher. No luck so far.

If you were to work out what power you need, then you could just insert an appropriate heater element in series with the popper element (say an electric fire or water heater). But this wouldn't really be good to run in your kitchen haha.

Do they still make 'simmerstat' controls'? All electric cookers used them at one time and they were, basically, a thermal interruptor, with a duty cycle of a few seconds. What's used in IR Hob controls these days? Could be just what you need if you could mount it in a suitable box.

My goal is to be able to vary the voltage to the 1200 watt heating element of the popper during different phases of roasting the coffee beans, with all the beans roasted as evenly as possible as they move past the vents (side vent poppers rotate the beans, but at any given moment, only a fraction of the beans are receiving the full heat transfer). Is a simmerstat and a electric stove "burner" control the same thing?

two links to peruse while still in study mode...

http://www.duralite.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=87

http://www.hendonsemiconductors.com/om1895.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to buy a single burner hot plate and tap into the control knob. May be weeks before I get the part, wire it, wire the popper, and try it. If anyone is curious, I think I may post my result with that experiment here.

Cheers, and Happy New Year

Heaters are slow to react to power changes. Typically, I'd design in a zero-crossing solid state relay. 20 amp versions are readily available from Digikey. They are typically switched off / on via a 5 volt signal. A 5 volt wall wart with a 555 timer can give you the pulse you need to set it to a given duty cycle.
Alternately, you might wish to purchase an integrated heater control. Watlow is the most popular brand. You can get them to run off of a variety of voltages and use a variety of sensors for temperature feedback.

According to me, this is done entirely at your own risk. Because you are using a domestic appliance in a manner for which it was not designed and also you are dealing with high temperatures and combustible materials. So, supervise the process at all times. I would suggest you to never use an extension cord, unless it has a ground pin as well. The can will get hot during roasting! Use non epoxy method, you will need to use an oven mitt or a pair of pliers move or reposition it.

http://coffeebeanswarehouse.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a speed controller with a heating element?

A speed controller with a heating element is a device that controls the speed of a motor or fan while also providing a heating function. It is commonly used in appliances such as hair dryers, space heaters, and blenders.

How does a speed controller with a heating element work?

The speed controller portion of the device regulates the amount of current flowing to the motor, which in turn controls the speed of the motor. The heating element, usually made of wire or a heating coil, is powered by the same current and produces heat to warm the air or liquid passing through the device.

What are the benefits of using a speed controller with a heating element?

One of the main benefits is energy efficiency. By controlling the speed of the motor, the device can operate at a lower speed and use less energy. Additionally, the combination of speed control and heating function provides convenience and versatility in one device.

Are there different types of speed controllers with heating elements?

Yes, there are various types of speed controllers with heating elements depending on the application. Some may have manual controls while others may be electronically controlled. Additionally, there are different types of heating elements such as ceramic, quartz, and PTC (positive thermal coefficient) elements.

What are some common uses for a speed controller with a heating element?

As mentioned, these devices are commonly used in appliances such as hair dryers, space heaters, and blenders. They can also be found in industrial equipment such as conveyor belts, mixers, and pumps. Some DIY projects may also incorporate a speed controller with a heating element for customized use.