Speed of a transverse on a pulley

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal rope attached to an electrically driven tuning fork that vibrates the rope at 120Hz. The other end of the rope supports a 1.50kg mass and passes over a pulley. The linear mass density of the rope is 0.055kg/m. The question is asking for the speed of a transverse wave on the rope. The answer, according to the book, is 16.3m/s. To solve the problem, one can use the expression for the speed of a wave as a function of the tension in a rope. The tuning fork power is not needed for the exercise, as the pulley and weight can provide the necessary tension.
Andrew Jacobson

Homework Statement

Hi, I encountered a problem whilst doing problems involving transverse waves. If somebody could give me a pointer I would appreciate it. The question is:

"One end of a horizontal rope is attached to a prong of an electrically driven tuning fork that vibrates the rope transversely at 120Hz. The other end passes over a pulley and supports a 1.50kg mass. The linear mass density of the rope is 0.055kg/m. What is the speed of a transverse wave on rope?"

The answer in the book is 16.3m/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm honest I'm struggling to even start. I figure that you have to balance the forces, where the downward force would be 9.81*(1.5+0.055L)N where L is the length of the rope and perhaps you can relate that to the power of the tuning fork and work it out from there? A pointer would be lovely. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nah, there is an expression for the speed of a wave as a function of the tension in a rope. Find it (in your textbook or in your notes, for instance) and you're done.

Tuning fork power would have been provided if that was needed for the exercise. Pulley and weight only serve to get the tension.

1. What is the speed of a transverse on a pulley?

The speed of a transverse on a pulley depends on several factors, such as the size of the pulley, the weight of the object being pulled, and the amount of tension in the rope. In general, the speed will be higher if the pulley is larger and the weight is lighter.

2. How is the speed of a transverse on a pulley calculated?

To calculate the speed of a transverse on a pulley, you can use the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius of the pulley. Alternatively, you can also use the formula v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time taken.

3. Can the speed of a transverse on a pulley be greater than the speed of the object being pulled?

No, the speed of a transverse on a pulley cannot be greater than the speed of the object being pulled. The pulley simply changes the direction of the force and does not increase the speed of the object.

4. How can the speed of a transverse on a pulley be increased?

The speed of a transverse on a pulley can be increased by reducing the weight of the object being pulled, increasing the size of the pulley, or increasing the tension in the rope. Additionally, using a smoother and more efficient pulley system can also increase the speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of the speed of a transverse on a pulley?

The speed of a transverse on a pulley has many practical applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. It is also used in sports equipment, such as rock climbing gear and zip lines, and in simple machines like a block and tackle system.