Speed of conical pendulum at angle alpha to horizontal

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a mass in a conical pendulum based on given parameters. The solution involves breaking down the problem into x and y components and utilizing equations for net force and acceleration. The resulting equation for speed is dependent on the angle formed by the string and the horizontal plane. It is noted that as the mass approaches the ground, the speed will not be constant due to the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy.
matineesuxxx

Homework Statement

Assuming we know the length of the string [itex]L[/itex], radius of the swept out circle [itex]r[/itex], angle formed by string and centre of circle, [itex]\theta[/itex], and angle the swept out circle is to the horizontal, [itex]\alpha[/itex], what is the speed, [itex]v[/itex], of the mass if it is constant?

picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Conical_pendulum.svg

Homework Equations

[itex]\text{F}_{\text{net}}=ma[/itex]
[itex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So in trying to solve this, I broke it down into x and y components and in the horizontal plane, I got:

[itex]\text{F}_{\text{net}} = \text{T}\,\sin(\theta + \alpha)[/itex]

[itex]ma_{x} = m(a\cos \alpha) = \text{T}\, \sin (\theta + \alpha)[/itex]

[itex]\implies \text{T} = \frac{ma\cos \alpha}{\sin(\theta + \alpha)} [/itex]

The angle, [itex]\theta + \alpha[/itex] arrises due to some geometry where if i tilt my axis so that [itex]\text{F}_{g}[/itex] points directly down on the negative y-axis and [itex]\text{T}[/itex] points into the first quadrant, the angle from the positive x-axis is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}-(\theta + \alpha)[/itex]

and for the vertical plane i get:

[itex]\text{F}_{\text{net}} = \text{T}\cos (\theta + \alpha) - mg[/itex]

[itex]ma_{y} = m(a\sin \alpha) = \text{T} \cos (\alpha + \theta) - mg[/itex]

and substituting [itex]\text{T}[/itex] into our equation I get;

[itex]a\sin \alpha = \frac{a \cos \alpha}{\sin (\theta + \alpha)} \cos (\theta + \alpha) - g[/itex]

since [itex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/itex], I substitute and isolate for [itex]v^2[/itex] to get

[itex]v^2 = \frac{gL\sin (\theta) \sin (\theta + \alpha)}{\cos (\theta + 2\alpha)}[/itex]

I am just wondering if I did this properly? I mean if I let [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex], then I end up with

[itex]v = \sin \theta \sqrt{\frac{gL}{\cos \theta}}[/itex], which is what I got when I was working with a normal conical pendulum, however, I feel that as the mass starts to approach the ground then it should speed up. Is it even possible to let [itex]v[/itex] be constant and is my approach correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I get your problem correctly you want the circle to have a tilt with respect to the horizontal plane. If this is the case, the speed will not be constant as the energy is being converted from potential to kinetic.

Orodruin said:
If I get your problem correctly you want the circle to have a tilt with respect to the horizontal plane. If this is the case, the speed will not be constant as the energy is being converted from potential to kinetic.

Yes, that is how I set up the problem, and exactly what I was wondering about the speed as its height from the ground is constantly changing. any thoughts on how to take that into account?

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves in a circular motion rather than back and forth like a traditional pendulum. It consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. The motion of the pendulum is controlled by the force of gravity and the tension in the string or rod.

2. How is the speed of a conical pendulum at an angle alpha to the horizontal calculated?

The speed of a conical pendulum at an angle alpha to the horizontal can be calculated using the formula v = √(gRcosα), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the length of the string or rod, and α is the angle the pendulum makes with the horizontal.

3. What factors affect the speed of a conical pendulum?

The speed of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the angle alpha to the horizontal, and the acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the pendulum also plays a role in determining its speed.

4. How does the speed of a conical pendulum change as the angle alpha to the horizontal increases?

As the angle alpha to the horizontal increases, the speed of the conical pendulum decreases. This is because the component of the gravitational force that is perpendicular to the motion of the pendulum decreases, resulting in a decrease in the speed of the pendulum.

5. Can the speed of a conical pendulum at an angle alpha to the horizontal be greater than the speed of a traditional pendulum?

Yes, the speed of a conical pendulum can be greater than the speed of a traditional pendulum. This is because the motion of a conical pendulum is more complex and involves both the horizontal and vertical components of motion, while a traditional pendulum only moves back and forth in one direction.