Speed of two charged, insulated spheres?

This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision must be equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision. You can set up equations using these principles to solve for the final velocities of the spheres when they collide. In summary, the problem involves two insulating spheres with different radii, masses, and charges that are released from rest and collide when their centers are 1.00 m apart. The solution involves using the law of conservation of energy and momentum to set up equations and solve for the final velocities of the spheres when they collide.
XianForce

Homework Statement

Two insulating spheres have radii 0.300 cm and 0.500 cm, masses 0.450 kg and 0.700 kg, and uniformly distributed charges of -2.00 µC and 3.00 µC. They are released from rest when their centers are separated by 1.00 m.
(a) How fast will each be moving when they collide? (Hint: Consider conservation of energy and of linear momentum.)

Homework Equations

F = keq1q2/r2
v = at + v0
Δs = v0t + .5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the electrostatic force on the objects. Since they have opposite charges, I know that they move towards each other. I found their accelerations by dividing by their respective masses, and then plugged those into some of the kinematics equations to find the final velocity.

I can see that my methods/assumptions are wrong, I'm just not exactly sure about how to go about this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration isn't constant as force increases while spheres get closer

szynkasz said:
Acceleration isn't constant as force increases while spheres get closer

Yes, but then how do I solve it?

Your hint says you should use the law of conservation energy and momentum.

I would approach this problem by first considering the forces acting on the two spheres. The electrostatic force between the two spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, the force is attractive since the two spheres have opposite charges.

Next, I would consider the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In this case, as the two spheres move towards each other, their potential energy decreases and is converted into kinetic energy. By equating the initial potential energy (at a separation of 1.00 m) to the final kinetic energy (at the point of collision), we can determine the final velocities of the two spheres.

I would also consider the principle of conservation of linear momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the total momentum of the system is zero at the point of release since the two spheres are at rest. As they move towards each other and collide, their momenta will be equal and opposite, resulting in a total momentum of zero once again.

Using these principles, I would set up equations for the conservation of energy and conservation of linear momentum and solve for the final velocities of the two spheres when they collide. This approach takes into account the masses, charges, and distances of the two spheres, as well as the forces acting on them, and provides a more comprehensive and accurate solution to the problem.

Related to Speed of two charged, insulated spheres?

1. What is the speed of two charged, insulated spheres?

The speed of two charged, insulated spheres depends on various factors such as their charge, mass, and distance between them. It can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the charge of the spheres affect their speed?

The speed of two charged, insulated spheres is directly proportional to their charges. This means that as the charge on either sphere increases, their speed will also increase.

3. What is the role of insulation in determining the speed of the spheres?

The insulation of the spheres plays a crucial role in determining their speed. Insulated spheres prevent the dissipation of the charge, allowing the spheres to maintain their charge and thus their speed.

4. Can the mass of the spheres affect their speed?

Yes, the mass of the spheres can affect their speed. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the spheres increases, their speed will decrease.

5. Can the distance between the spheres affect their speed?

Yes, the distance between the spheres can affect their speed. According to the Coulomb's law, the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, their speed will decrease.