Speed/torque curves for brushless DC motor

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about computing a speed/torque curve for a small three-phase brushless DC motor. The person has read about how to do this and has the necessary information from the motor's data sheet. However, they are having trouble producing the curve for 15 V operation, as the computed stall torque is much higher than the motor's peak torque. The person asks for clarification on how to plot the curve at this voltage and if it is safe to run the motor at a voltage higher than the peak torque voltage stated on the data sheet.
indelible
Hi everyone. I came across this site yesterday during some targeted Googling and thought I'd give it a shot. I have a basic question about speed/torque curves for brushless DC motors.

I would like to compute a speed/torque curve for a small three-phase brushless DC motor that I have. It doesn't need to be exact but I'd like it to be theoretically close.

I've read plenty online about how this can be done by constructing a plot with speed on one axis and torque on the other, then drawing a line between speed at zero torque and torque at zero speed at the intercept of each respective axis. Here is an example: http://lancet.mit.edu/motors/motors3.html. This level of simplicity is fine for my purposes.

My motor's data sheet gives me everything I need to create this plot: winding resistance (0.54 Ohms), back EMF constant (0.021 V/rad/sec), and torque sensitivity (2.97 oz-in/A). The data sheet also lists stall torque (13 oz-in), peak torque (15 oz-in), and no-load speed (130 rad/sec) at 2.73 V operation. Great. Using this I can run the equations, confirm the results, and plot the speed-torque curve for 2.73 V operation.

What I want is to produce the same curve for 15 V operation. When I compute the stall torque for 15 V (Kt * V / R = 83 oz-in), the result is much, much higher than the motor's stated peak torque (15 oz-in). As I understand it, peak torque does not increase as voltage increases, and so I'm left with a computed stall torque that doesn't make sense to me.

Here (finally) is my question: Is the torque-speed curve for this motor at 15 V simply the line intersecting the torque axis at the motor's peak torque (15 oz-in) and the speed axis at the no-load speed for 15 V (Vt / Kb = 714 rad/sec)? If not, what the heck does the speed-torque curve look like at this voltage? Am I trying to do something naughty by running this motor at a voltage that is so much higher than the peak torque voltage (2.73 V) on the data sheet?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump!

Is this a titanically stupid question? Mods, might it do better in a different section of these forums? If not, might anyone be willing to share a site other than physicsforums.com where I could try getting some help?

Thanks in advance!

What is a speed/torque curve for a brushless DC motor?

A speed/torque curve for a brushless DC motor is a graphical representation of the relationship between the motor's rotational speed and the amount of torque it can produce. It shows the maximum torque the motor can produce at different speeds, and is typically used to determine the motor's performance capabilities.

How is a speed/torque curve measured for a brushless DC motor?

A speed/torque curve for a brushless DC motor is typically measured by applying a load to the motor and gradually increasing the load while recording the motor's speed and torque at each load increment. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the speed/torque curve.

What factors affect the shape of a speed/torque curve for a brushless DC motor?

The shape of a speed/torque curve for a brushless DC motor can be affected by various factors, such as the motor's design, winding configuration, and the type of load it is driving. Additionally, the motor's operating voltage and current can also impact its speed/torque characteristics.

How can a speed/torque curve be used to select the right brushless DC motor for a specific application?

A speed/torque curve can be used to select the right brushless DC motor for a specific application by comparing the motor's performance capabilities to the requirements of the application. For example, if the application requires high torque at low speeds, a motor with a flat torque curve would be more suitable than one with a steep slope.

How can a speed/torque curve be used to troubleshoot issues with a brushless DC motor?

If a brushless DC motor is not performing as expected, its speed/torque curve can be used to troubleshoot issues. By comparing the actual curve to the expected curve, the cause of the problem can be identified. For example, if the motor is producing less torque than expected at a certain speed, it could indicate a faulty winding or a mechanical issue with the motor.