Sphere with dipole in a dialectric

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the electric field of a hollow sphere with a dipole in a dialectric. The equations for this involve the terms $$\alpha \vec{p}$$ and $$\beta$$, with the latter being outside the electric field. The purpose of the discussion is to understand why there is an additional term in the electric field, possibly due to polarization of the dialectric. A useful resource for understanding this extra term is provided.
alejandrito29

Homework Statement

Evaluate the electric field of a hollow sphere with a dipolo , in a dialectric. See left figure..

Homework Equations

$$\alpha \vec{p}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understad why at the field electric "in" there is a term of form $$\alpha \vec{p}$$ , and term $$\beta$$ "out.

I thinking that the dialectric is polarized and create a field electric as the right figure, but i don't sure...

Attachments

• 1111Sin título.jpg
    1111Sin título.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 33332221111Sin título.jpg
    33332221111Sin título.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 290
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, do you know what alpha and beta are expected to be? Also, is there a charge distribution inside the sphere? I suppose not if it says that the sphere is hollow. I think that you might find this useful to explain the extra term: http://www.physicspages.com/2012/04/02/electric-field-of-a-dipole/

Related to Sphere with dipole in a dialectric

What is a "Sphere with dipole in a dialectric"?

A sphere with dipole in a dialectric refers to a spherical object that has an electric dipole moment, meaning it has a positive and negative charge separated by a distance, placed inside a dialectric material.

What is a dialectric material?

A dialectric material is an insulating material that does not conduct electricity. It is commonly used in electrical components to prevent current flow and control electric fields.

How does a dipole in a dialectric affect the electric field?

A dipole in a dialectric material creates an electric field around it, which is affected by the properties of the material. This can result in the displacement of the electric field lines and a change in the strength of the electric field.

What is the significance of studying a sphere with dipole in a dialectric?

Studying a sphere with dipole in a dialectric allows scientists to understand how electric fields behave in different materials and how they can be manipulated. This can have practical applications in the development of new technologies and materials.

How is the electric potential affected by a dipole in a dialectric?

The presence of a dipole in a dialectric material can cause a change in the electric potential, as the electric field lines are displaced and the strength of the field is altered. This can be measured and studied to better understand the behavior of electric fields in different conditions.