Spherical, Cyndrical or Polar Coordinates

In summary: I know that the solution is number 1 but I'm having some difficulty understanding why. In solution one is it using cylindrical coordinates? Because my first response to this question had been to use spherical coordinates. Would it have been correct to use spherical coordinates if the \sqrt{}2-x^2-y^2 had instead been \sqrt{}1-x^2-y^2Two forms are offered using spherical coordinates, two using cylindrical.In principle, any or none of them could have been correct reformulations of the original integral, but they have been constructed so that only one is correct.You just have to play around converting the original various ways until you can decide which
Northbysouth
Spherical, Cylindrical or Polar Coordinates

Homework Statement

I have attached an image of the problem.

I know that the solution is number 1 but I'm having some difficulty understanding why. In solution one is it using cylindrical coordinates> My first response to this question had been to use spherical coordinates. Would it have been correct to use spherical coordinates if the [itex]\sqrt{}2-x^2-y^2[/itex] had instead been [itex]\sqrt{}1-x^2-y^2[/itex]

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution is number 1 but I'm having some difficulty understanding why. In solution one is it using cylindrical coordinates? Because my first response to this question had been to use spherical coordinates. Would it have been correct to use spherical coordinates if the [itex]\sqrt{}2-x^2-y^2[/itex] had instead been [itex]\sqrt{}1-x^2-y^2[/itex]

Attachments

• math 2224 cte spring 2008.png
    math 2224 cte spring 2008.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two forms are offered using spherical coordinates, two using cylindrical. In principle, any or none of them could have been correct reformulations of the original integral, but they have been constructed so that only one is correct. You just have to play around converting the original various ways until you can decide which one.
The nature of the z bound in the original integral does suggest spherical as the most natural, but that's not what the question is about.

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

I have attached an image of the problem.

I know that the solution is number 1 but I'm having some difficulty understanding why. In solution one is it using cylindrical coordinates> My first response to this question had been to use spherical coordinates. Would it have been correct to use spherical coordinates if the [itex]\sqrt{2-x^2-y^2}[/itex] had instead been [itex]\sqrt{}1-x^2-y^2[/itex]
It should be easy to see that [itex]z= \sqrt{1- x^2+ y^2}[/itex] is the upper half of a sphere with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 1 while [itex]z= \sqrt{2- x^2+ y^2}[/itex] is the upper half of a sphere with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Because they are both parts of spheres, yes, spherical coordinates would be appropriate.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

I know that the solution is number 1 but I'm having some difficulty understanding why. In solution one is it using cylindrical coordinates? Because my first response to this question had been to use spherical coordinates. Would it have been correct to use spherical coordinates if the [itex]\sqrt{}2-x^2-y^2[/itex] had instead been [itex]\sqrt{}1-x^2-y^2[/itex]

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Related to Spherical, Cyndrical or Polar Coordinates

1. What are spherical coordinates and how are they used in science?

Spherical coordinates are a system for locating points in three-dimensional space using a distance from the origin, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle from the positive x-axis. They are often used in science for describing the position of objects or locations in space, as well as for solving mathematical equations and plotting graphs.

2. How do cylindrical coordinates differ from spherical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates also use a distance from the origin and an angle from the positive z-axis, but instead of an angle from the positive x-axis, they use a distance from the z-axis. This makes them better suited for describing objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders or tubes.

3. When would it be useful to use polar coordinates instead of spherical or cylindrical coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional version of cylindrical coordinates, using only a distance from the origin and an angle from the positive x-axis. They are often used in science for describing circular or rotational motion, as well as for representing complex numbers in mathematics.

4. Can spherical, cylindrical, and polar coordinates all be converted to each other?

Yes, all three coordinate systems can be converted to each other using simple equations. For example, to convert from spherical coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical, cylindrical, or polar coordinates?

While these coordinate systems are useful for many applications, they do have some limitations. For example, they are not ideal for describing objects with irregular shapes or for solving equations with complex geometry. In these cases, other coordinate systems may be more suitable.