How Do You Determine the Ground State Energy in a Spherical Infinite Well?

In summary, we are asked to find the ground state energy and wave function for a particle of mass m constrained to move between two concentric hard spheres of radii a and b, with no potential between the spheres. This can be solved using the radial equation component of the time independent Schrodinger equation for a central potential, where u(r) = rR(r). The resulting differential equation is similar to that of an infinite square well potential, and applying the boundary conditions of R(a) = 0 and R(b) = 0, we can determine the quantization of k. However, the problem here is that a = 0, and it is unclear how to extract the quantization from these boundary conditions.
zephyr5050

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## is constrained to move between two concentric hard spheres of radii ##r = a## and ##r = b##. There is no potential between the spheres. Find the ground state energy and wave function.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 u}{dr^2} + [V(r) + \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\ell (\ell + 1)}{r^2}]u = Eu$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The relevant equation here is the radial equation component of the time independent schroedinger equation for a central potential, where ##u(r) \equiv rR(r)##. Effectively, this is an infinite square well potential such that inside the concentric spheres the potential is ##0## and in the ground state ##\ell = 0## so our effective differential equation becomes
$$\frac{d^2 u}{dr^2} = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}u \equiv -k^2 u$$
with the solution
$$u(r) = rR(r) = A sin(kr) + B cos(kr)$$
We can apply the boundary conditions that ##R(a) = 0## and ##R(b) = 0##. However, my problem comes from the fact that I don't know how to get anything out of these boundary conditions. Most of the time, the problem is that ##a = 0## and that boundary condition gives the quantization of ##k##, but here I don't see how to pull out that quantization. Is there some part of this problem that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
however, my problem comes from the fact that I don't know how to get anything out of these boundary conditions.
If you just look at it you can see the shape the solutions have to have. Sketch the first few on your diagram.

1. What is a Spherical Infinite Well?

A Spherical Infinite Well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that describes a particle confined within a spherical region by an infinite potential barrier.

2. How is the Spherical Infinite Well different from other potential wells?

The Spherical Infinite Well differs from other potential wells in its shape and dimensions. Unlike a traditional rectangular or square well, the spherical well has no boundaries or corners, and its potential energy is infinitely high at all points within the well.

3. What is the significance of the Spherical Infinite Well in quantum mechanics?

The Spherical Infinite Well is an important model in quantum mechanics as it helps to illustrate the behavior of particles in a confined space with infinite potential barriers. It is also used as a simplified model for more complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.

4. How does the energy of a particle in a Spherical Infinite Well relate to its quantum states?

The energy of a particle in a Spherical Infinite Well is quantized, meaning it can only take on specific discrete values. These energy levels correspond to the different quantum states of the particle, which are characterized by different wavefunctions and probabilities of finding the particle in different regions of the well.

5. Can a particle in a Spherical Infinite Well escape from the well?

No, a particle in a Spherical Infinite Well is completely confined within the well due to the infinite potential barriers. However, the particle can still exhibit wave-like properties and have a non-zero probability of being found outside of the well, known as tunneling.