Spherical Tensor operators for half-integers

In summary: Thanks again.OK, now it gets interesting. What you're asking is the relationship between the components of a tensor in the spherical basis as opposed to the Cartesian basis. The Cartesian basis starts with the 3 representation and the three basis vectors ex, ey, ez, and for ℓ = 1 the relationship is easy to write down: e± = ex ± i ey, e0 = ez. (I'm ignoring √2's)The representations for ℓ = integer > 1 are irreducible and contained in 3 ⊗ 3 ⊗ ... ⊗ 3. Which means you take the tensor product of ℓ copies of ex, ey, e
jfy4
Hi,

There are, for example, lists of spherical tensor operators for [itex]l=\text{integer}[/itex] steps, e.g. [itex]l=0,1,2,...[/itex].

[tex]
T_{k}^{q}(J)\rightarrow T_{0}^{0}=1, \quad T_{1}^{\pm 1}=\mp \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}J_{\pm},\quad T_{1}^0=J_z
[/tex]
and this continues forever. I was wondering if there are operators in this spherical tensor form for half integers steps of [itex]k[/itex] instead of integer. And if not, why?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, the definition is: an irreducible tensor operator T(k) is a set of 2k+1 operators T(k q), q = -k,... , k which transforms under an infinitesimal rotation as

[J±, T(k q)] = [(k ∓ q)(k ± q + 1)]1/2
[J0, T(k, q)] = q T(k q)

This works for both integer and half-integer k.

Bill_K said:
Sure, the definition is: an irreducible tensor operator T(k) is a set of 2k+1 operators T(k q), q = -k,... , k which transforms under an infinitesimal rotation as

[J±, T(k q)] = [(k ∓ q)(k ± q + 1)]1/2
[J0, T(k, q)] = q T(k q)

This works for both integer and half-integer k.

Great! Thanks Bill. The integer ones seem to have explicit forms relating back to Cartesian components, for instance,
[tex]
J_{+}=a_{1}+ia_{2}
[/tex]
etc... Do such forms exist for the half integer spherical operators? For instance is it possible to write [itex]T\left( \frac{7}{2},q\right) [/itex] in terms of Cartesian components [itex](a_{0},a_1 ,a_2,...)[/itex]?

Thanks again.

OK, now it gets interesting. What you're asking is the relationship between the components of a tensor in the spherical basis as opposed to the Cartesian basis. The Cartesian basis starts with the 3 representation and the three basis vectors ex, ey, ez, and for ℓ = 1 the relationship is easy to write down: e± = ex ± i ey, e0 = ez. (I'm ignoring √2's)

The representations for ℓ = integer > 1 are irreducible and contained in 33 ⊗ ... ⊗ 3. Which means you take the tensor product of ℓ copies of ex, ey, ez with itself and project out the highest irreducible part. So for example for ℓ = 2,
e0 = 2 exex - eyey - ezez
e±1 = ez(ex ± i ey) + (ex ± i ey)ez
e±2 = (ex ± i ey)(ex ± i ey)
From these relations you can read off the Cartesian components Txx, Txy, etc in terms of the spherical components T0, T±1, T±2.

However, when you come to a half-integer representation, ℓ = n + ½, it is not contained in any product of 3's. What you must do is to take in addition a spinor quantity, transforming as the 2 representation, and consider products of this with n copies of 3. Thus the building blocks are the "spin spherical harmonics", i.e. the spherical decomposition of a two-spinor field χ(x, y, z).

Thanks Bill. I understand these things live on a sphere, but have you ever seen their contraction written with a metric like
[tex]
C_{l\, l',m\,m'}A^{l,m}\sigma^{l',m'}=C_{00,m\, m'}A^{0,m}\sigma^{0,m'}+C_{\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2},m\, m'}A^{\frac{1}{2},m}\sigma^{\frac{1}{2},m'}+ C_{11,m\, m'}A^{1,m}\sigma^{1,m'}+...
[/tex]
with [itex]C[/itex] some associated coefficients? Would these just be the CB coefficients, or does it not even make sense?

What are spherical tensor operators for half-integers?

Spherical tensor operators for half-integers are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons. They are represented as matrices and used to calculate the properties and interactions of these particles.

How are spherical tensor operators for half-integers different from regular tensor operators?

Spherical tensor operators for half-integers are specifically designed to describe the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, while regular tensor operators are used for particles with any spin value. Spherical tensor operators for half-integers have special properties that make them more suitable for describing the quantum behavior of these particles.

What is the significance of using spherical tensor operators for half-integers in quantum mechanics?

Spherical tensor operators for half-integers are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of particles with half-integer spin. This is crucial for understanding the properties and interactions of these particles, which play a key role in many physical phenomena.

How are spherical tensor operators for half-integers used in experiments?

Spherical tensor operators for half-integers are used in experiments to measure and analyze the properties and interactions of particles with half-integer spin. They are also used to design and interpret experiments involving these particles, providing a theoretical framework for understanding their behavior.

Can spherical tensor operators for half-integers be used for particles with other spin values?

While spherical tensor operators for half-integers are specifically designed for particles with half-integer spin, they can also be applied to particles with integer spin values. However, they may not accurately describe the behavior of these particles and other methods may be more suitable for their analysis.