Spherical components of a rotated operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator ##T_{xyz}##, which is a component of the rank 3 tensor ##T=\vec{r}\otimes\vec{r}\otimes\vec{r}##. This tensor has both Cartesian components and spherical components, denoted as ##T_{ijk}## and ##T_{q}^{(k)}## respectively. The relationship between these two sets of components can be determined using the Wigner d-matrix. The conversation also mentions a rotated version of ##T_{xyz}##, denoted as ##\hat{V}^{\prime}##, and discusses how the coefficients of this tensor acquire a phase when rotated. However, there is confusion about
SplinterCell
Homework Statement
Suppose that the operator ##\hat{V}=\hat{x}\hat{y}\hat{z}## is rotated through an angle ##\theta = \pi / 4## about the ##z##-axis. Find the spherical components of the rotated operator ##\hat{V}^{\prime}##. (Using spherical harmonics with ##\ell = 3## is not allowed).
Relevant Equations
The spherical components of the tensor ##T## transform in the following manner: ##T_{q}^{\left(k\right)^{\prime}}=\mathcal{D}\left(R\right)T_{q}^{\left(k\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}\left(R\right)=\sum_{q^{\prime}=-k}^{k}\mathcal{D}_{q^{\prime}q}^{\left(k\right)}\left(R\right)T_{q^{\prime}}^{\left(k\right)}##
The operator is the ##T_{xyz}## component of the rank 3 tensor ##T=\vec{r}\otimes\vec{r}\otimes\vec{r}## whose Cartesian components are ##T_{ijk}=r_ir_jr_k##. This tensor ##T## also has spherical components ##T_{q}^{(k)}## where ##k=0,1,2,3##, which in principle can be related to their Cartesian counterparts. Each ##r_i## can be written as some linear combination of ##Y_{q}^{(1)}## spherical components. Also, using the properties of the Wigner (small) d-matrix I was able to show that
$$
\mathcal{D}Y_{\pm1}^{\left(1\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}=e^{\mp i\pi/4}Y_{\pm1}^{\left(1\right)},\;\mathcal{D}Y_{0}^{\left(1\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}=Y_{0}^{\left(1\right)}
$$
Presumably, if ##\hat{V}=\sum A_{i}Y_{m_{1}}^{\left(1\right)}Y_{m_{2}}^{\left(1\right)}Y_{m_{3}}^{\left(1\right)}## (where ##A_i## are some coefficients) then we can rotate this mess by doing the following:
$$
\hat{V}^{\prime}=\mathcal{D}\hat{V}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}=\sum A_{i}\mathcal{D}Y_{m_{1}}^{\left(1\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}\mathcal{D}Y_{m_{2}}^{\left(1\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}\mathcal{D}Y_{m_{3}}^{\left(1\right)}\mathcal{D}^{\dagger}
$$
If we plug in the previous relations we find that the only thing that changes inside the sum are the coefficients ##A_i## that acquire some phase.
However, I'm not sure how to continue from here. In particular, I don't understand what is meant by the "spherical components of ##\hat{V}^{\prime}##". I mean, ##\hat{V}^{\prime}## is not some vector operator - it's just a (rotated) component of some tensor. Does it even make sense to talk about spherical components?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moreover, I'm not sure how to relate the Cartesian components of ##\hat{V}^{\prime}## with those of ##T_{xyz}##. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What are spherical components of a rotated operator?

Spherical components of a rotated operator refer to the individual elements of a rotated operator expressed in terms of spherical coordinates.

2. How are spherical components of a rotated operator calculated?

Spherical components of a rotated operator can be calculated using a transformation matrix that converts Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of spherical components of a rotated operator in physics?

Spherical components of a rotated operator are important in physics because they allow for the description and analysis of physical quantities in a spherical coordinate system, which is often necessary for certain types of problems.

4. Can spherical components of a rotated operator be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, spherical components of a rotated operator can be used in any coordinate system as long as the transformation matrix between Cartesian and spherical coordinates is known.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical components of a rotated operator?

One limitation of using spherical components of a rotated operator is that it can become more complicated and difficult to work with in higher dimensions, as the number of spherical components increases with the number of dimensions.